Real Quick Skybox Question

Thief977

L1: Registered
Jul 17, 2010
At certain angles from my peripheral vision, and when staring directly at it, the skybox does this weird thing where images repeat across it.
For instance, if I'm a scout, and I look around the sky while holding my bat, there will be roughly 40 bats slowly strewn across the alpine sky (yes, I'm using Alpine, if that helps.)

I found this, if it helps:
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_alpinestorm_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_alpinestorm_01 to build the default cubemap

And this:
Error! Entity sky_camera in solid volume! at 0.0 0.0 0.0

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
First of all fix your sky_camera. I find it weird that you have it at 0,0,0 because the sky_camera should be inside the 3dskybox area, no the playable map area. (0,0,0 is usually in the latter). Second of all it should obviously not be inside a solid volume, but I think these 2 mistakes are related.

What you're seeing with you get these "after images" of weapons and stuff, is the void outside the map. It can be caused by many different things, but leaks are the most common.
Who knows, fixing your sky_camera might solve that too.

edit: the error message about the skybox texture can be ignored. It's a common "problem" with almost all tf2 skyboxes. It has absolutely 0 effect on your map.

Last edited:

Thief977

L1: Registered
Jul 17, 2010
Yeah, that pretty much worked. I had followed a tutorial online, where I made a skybox from a hollowed out box, with the camera inside. I fixed it by making 6, small but long, boxes and placed them around the camera instead.

Thanks, buckaroo.