random walls

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Morloc, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Morloc

Morloc L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi all

is it possible to randomly place some walls? ie block certain routes randomly at start of round?

i presume you can set some walls to be a func_detail and then have something to randomly pick which one it turns on?

is this possible? if so what would you need to do the random stuff.

im still new to the game control of things and need a push in the right direction

thanks

Morly

2. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm you know this would be very useful however would break balanc of teams.

Im pretty sure about the enabling bit you've got correct however i dont think theres a randomizer

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    You'll need a logic_auto so that it fires at the begining of the map. then use a logic_case. give it a load of cases and use the oncase01/02/etc outputs to enable certain walls. each case is one entire outcome.

Use func_brush for the walls not func_detail as func_detail isnt actually a proper entity and can't do much.

Make sure you fire the logic_case with "pickrandom" from the logic_auto and it will pick a random case, then the logic_case will automatically do everything you told it to output "oncasexx"

4. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    I'm no entity genius but I think the walls need to be func_brush, and the randomness can be done with logic_case somehow
    edit: ym beat me

5. Morloc

Morloc L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    thanks guys

as you were replying i pretty much stumbled apon func_brush and logic_case.
    I'll play about with it and see what you can do with it.

yes it could unbalance but not if the randomness was for both sides. I like the idea of a scout speeding out of spawn down a route only to find its blocked and he's lost a few valuable seconds.. plus to make maps look a bit different each round.

thanks again

Morly

6. megawac

megawac L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ya sounds like a pretty good idea to be honest... Would really piss heavies off... Suggestion make some routes that never change so slower class dont spend entire rounds lost.

7. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    That would also help in the random process, because there would be a chance that all routes from the spawn could be blocked, so some permanent routes is a good idea.