Random paths trouble

Charron

L1: Registered
Apr 2, 2009
So here's the setup. I'm building a cp_ attack/defend map (that could be a push map if designed well, but I'm building it, so.... probably won't). It's a 3x3 grid of Points of Interest. What I want to do is have each row have one Point with the capture point, one empty but enterable, and one blocked off entirely.

Tada, logic_case.

I built a little test map, and could get it to only open two doors at a time. But when I reloaded to test randomness, inevitably, all three doors open. Clearly this is bad. So I'm curious about how people who've fiddled with logic_case randomness before did it, in as much detail as possible.

Here's my rig:

team_round_timer -> OnSetupStart fire logic_case's PickRandom.
OnCase01 -> open door1, open door2, close door3 (they default closed, but this was an insurance that didn't work.) Case 02 and 03 are similar with a different door closed.
team_round_timer -> OnFinished fire logic_case's User01, which Closes every door.

I'm guessing OnFinished isn't the right thing to use, but I'm also betting team_round_timer isn't the thing to work off in the first place. Any suggestions?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
If it's a single round you can use a logic_auto to fire the PickRandom, rather than the timer. You also shouldn't need to do anything at the end if you set up the start correctly.
On1: C1 O2 O3
On2: O1 C2 O3
On3: O1 O2 C3

Like that you never need to "reset" because it arranges all the doors properly when it picks a case.

Charron

L1: Registered
Apr 2, 2009
If it's a single round you can use a logic_auto to fire the PickRandom, rather than the timer. You also shouldn't need to do anything at the end if you set up the start correctly.
On1: C1 O2 O3
On2: O1 C2 O3
On3: O1 O2 C3

Like that you never need to "reset" because it arranges all the doors properly when it picks a case.

That makes plenty more sense. As an academic exercise though (and since I might expand the concept in the future), what about multiple rounds? Would there need to be a logic_auto for each round, so it's randomized at the time of round start, or would one logic_auto with a whole lot more door combinations be suitable? (And I'm assuming only enough combinations of open/closed doors to fit in a logic_case in the first place.)

I suppose I should experiment myself but I figure someone else might try it and having the answer out there would be better.