random level generator

Feb 18, 2009
although I do think this is a great idea, I struggle to see how you could get a full layout generated "randomly".
As humans, we remember what works, and what doesn't and we can visualise (usually) how things will flow in game, at least to some extent. With a piece of code doing the job of mapping (to put it bluntly) you would need to find a way of it to "think" like us.
Don't loose heart because of me though. Could this be achieved by nabbing some of the AI code from the tf2 bots (or something, I don't understand AI code), to sort of test what kinds of patterns work in a map? The random aspect used just to make the adjustments that make it unique.

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
although I do think this is a great idea, I struggle to see how you could get a full layout generated "randomly".
As humans, we remember what works, and what doesn't and we can visualise (usually) how things will flow in game, at least to some extent. With a piece of code doing the job of mapping (to put it bluntly) you would need to find a way of it to "think" like us.
Don't loose heart because of me though. Could this be achieved by nabbing some of the AI code from the tf2 bots (or something, I don't understand AI code), to sort of test what kinds of patterns work in a map? The random aspect used just to make the adjustments that make it unique.

the general idea I had was to make a undirected graph where a node represents a large play field (wich could also be a respawnroom,flag room etc etc.), and each edge would be a smaller area or corridor each nod would of course have at leat two edges. then translating this into a 2d field of booleans and filling the space not occupied by the graph with cubes.

if that doesnt work I'll ask some AI people.

zaratustra

L2: Junior Member
Feb 1, 2009
You may have more luck working with a tile matrix, like a roguelike. In fact, I suggest you look at roguelike dungeon generating algorithms for some ideas.