Rails (Old)

KotH Rails (Old) A07c

The ProfesSIR

L1: Registered
Feb 25, 2017
Very. Very. White.
Hopefully that's just for now, because it's a fun map, just hard to look at for extended periods of time.

Serbian Hammer

Jan 22, 2011
Aw, really? Thanks!
latest

White is right, until I am happy with the layout.

TwinMill

L2: Junior Member
Nov 2, 2017
Hey friend!
Figured I do a quick run-through of your map and give you some initial thoughts!
First off, I have to admit to you it's very easy to get lost in this map. There were a lot of moment where I had no idea on who's side I was and where the point was. I suppose that could be fixed just by playing the map more often, but I would highly recommend just for now changing the floor textures to either a team color or maybe a 30-50% reflectance texture. It would go a long way in how it plays.
Secondly, I think there are much better places you could put your control point. it's current location doesn't exactly lend itself to a fun land-grab.
Something else I'd like to mention is your design choice. It is pretty unusual; the slopes and abstract hallways are very unique and can definitely provide some very different gameplay than your typical king of the hill map, which can be very easy to get wrong, so I would take care to thoroughly test this map. If you manage to make engaging gameplay with this sort of layout, this could really be a one-of-a-kind experience. I've put more details and thoughts here: https://imgur.com/a/OgJfo but on the whole I do like where you're going with this. I think with a few tweaks it could be really fun.

Serbian Hammer

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for the in depth analysis, I really appreciate it. I'll write my thought process and reply tomorrow.

Serbian Hammer

Jan 22, 2011
@TwinMill

So, a bit of intro to the design of the map. I wanted to make a map with a lot of verticality, so decided on a koth map, with 2 large battlegrounds connecting to it, one high ground and one low ground area, with passages between them. The rest of the map grew kinda organically around it.
Your spawn is a little claustrophobic. keep spawn open, it lets people walk out prepared better and it cuts down on general spawn spam.
I will redesign the spawns eventually, people universally dislike them. By widening the central room, It will also make the hallways to the battlements feel shorter.

Hate to say this, but you have GOT to change all this white. Vary up the walls from the floor with different dev textures or team colors, because as it is now it's VERY easy to get disoriented.
When I am more happy with the layout, I will make cosmetic changes. Not for now tho, when I have 2 different versions of the map that I might continue working on.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this ramp. Personally, I would add a flat part at the top about 64 HUs wide, or at least round out the top. It makes accessing the health kit easier.
I think this area is easier to traverse in A04, where slopes are less angled.

These trains are either too long or two slow. it takes FOREVER for these to pass, and while I get they are supposed to block off certain access points, it would be better if there were some indication of this route being closed off that makes it obvious you can't travel this direction (railroad crossing sort of thing).
I've sped up the trains slightly, and they feel much faster now. The idea for the trains is to make holding the point easier, but I will see if that is really necessary.

This here is where I think the point should be. There's cover, health kits, open area, and even height variation. I strongly recommend moving it here.Another area I think the point could be in. Honestly, I just feel like your point is in a bad place. It's closed off, easily spammable, and if people get dug in into the area behind it, it'll be very hard to flush them out.
I did at one point think about moving the points, but that would require completely overhauling the map, since the point would not be in the center of the map. I like the 2 seperate combat areas, so I think changing the point in its current locations is my best bet.

There are a lot of routes near the top that don't need to be there. They are too high up and out of the way, and there are VERY few classes that can access them. And even if they do they can be very easy to exploit. I would recommend filling them or clipping them.
The rails are clipped off.

Thank you for this, I've gotten a lot of feedback as well on the Imp tests, so changes be coming.

TwinMill

L2: Junior Member
Nov 2, 2017
@Srpski Čekić

Glad to see you looked through my advice!
You mention that once you're happy with the layout you will make cosmetic changes, but honestly, I feel like differentiating the floor from the walls qualifies enough for a change at this stage, simply because it makes testing more accurate. What might look like a problem with layout could be solved with some slight texture changes, so personally I think you should make the changes before your next playtest, especially since it doesn't take more than ten minutes. However, if you feel it isn't necessary then go for it, this is just my thought process.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next versions!