Quickest Compiling Configuration

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by PeterNorthsStuntDouble, Aug 11, 2009.

1. PeterNorthsStuntDouble

PeterNorthsStuntDouble L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey all, as I imagine a lot of you do I like to go in and view my maps at certain stages of development, I'm just wondering if anyone can offer up the configuration that will allow me the quickest compile possible. In this config all I'd be looking at is if walls meet properly, the scale of buildings, etc.

Thanks for your time.

2. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    ...fast vvis and fast vrad with no HDR?

3. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    VBSP: Normal
    VVIS: Fast
    VRAD: Do not run at all.

That'll be quite fast, and OK for checking basic architecture: it'll be "fullbright" with no shadows or lights.

Edit:
    For even faster compiles, consider the cordon tool.

I also recommend [ame=http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4814]VBCT[/ame], which will let you keep tinkering working in Hammer while the compile is going on. (You can also do it yourself from the command-line, but...)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  4. Washipato

Washipato L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Fast vvis plus no vrad. Your lights will not work, but it will compile very fast

5. PeterNorthsStuntDouble

PeterNorthsStuntDouble L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Cool, thanks everyone.

6. shadowfax

shadowfax L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    If you just want to see that walls line up and scale of buildings, you can skip vvis entirely as well. Water won't so up correctly but basic geometry is all taken care of in vbsp.

7. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    quickest way is just compiling bsp without vis and rad, thats for scale and entity-setup-check

fast check on lighting:
    cordon tool the area you need, make sure you have all main light-ents inside the cordoned area (env_sun, shadow controller, env_fog etc...)
    vis on fast, rad on normal

• Thanks Thanks x 1