Quick little TF2 Server Question

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by plastiqmanb, Jul 21, 2008.

1. plastiqmanb

plastiqmanb L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Just wondering if it is possible to have a tf2 dedicated server running on one machine and have the bsp map file located on another server somewhere else? I would want to have the dedicated running at my home for testing but host the map on my web server for faster download speeds. Is this possible ? if so how?

2. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    look up fast download. it basicly is a second folder (you can just symlink it or whatever) that allows the tf2 client to download it using http protocol. this is alot faster

3. plastiqmanb

Positive Ratings:
  4. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, exactly, but you also need to have the map in you're own source dedicated folder
    I hope you have good internet, because it really chews you're internet.
    I just suggest buy a gameserver at gameservers.com or darkstarllc.com
    They're cheap and good

5. Apex_

Apex_ L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you've got a reasonably fast cable line (say 6 to 8 megabits) then there should be no issues in hosting about 16 players. Unless you're on FIOS you won't be looking at 24 though.

If you want to use a redirect, simply upload the compressed map files (bz2 format) to your website and in the server.cfg file add the command

sv_downloadurl "http://www.yoursite/.../tf/"

The [...] is whatever happens to be between your website homepage and the /tf/ folder. Think of it the same way as your own copy on your desktop is setup. You *must* point the sv_downloadurl to that /tf/ folder though, because it isn't made just for maps.

Shouldn't this thread be in the server discussion board? ::p:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. plastiqmanb

Positive Ratings:
    thx alex (ya frogot noob mistake for wrong board)

but i know how they say to pack everything in a bz2 format but what if i have all of the textures and models already pakratted in the bzp map?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  7. Apex_

Apex_ L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's Apex, not Alex ;)

If the custom content (textures, models, sounds, you name it) is packed into the BSP, then packing that BSP into BZ2 format makes it even smaller. Using pakrat to put stuff in a BSP file doesn't compress it much (if at all), but BZ2 does.

Short answer: Pack stuff into BSP, pack BSP into BZ2, host!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. plastiqmanb

Positive Ratings:
    AWESOME. Thanks for all the help!