Quick Hammer Questions

kasʞade

L1: Registered
Dec 3, 2008
1# .Documentation says that holding shift while rotating should turn it in 15° angles. It doesn't do this for me, on two machines I cant rotate at those fixed angles. Trying to put brush work at angles is pretty frustrating when I cant set, or know what angle a brush is on.

2# .Is there a way to rotate a brush via some input ? ( So I can type in 36° etc )

3# .Each of the viewports has a title specifing top / side / front etc, however these titles aren't there perminatly, is this a known bug, or some setting I'm unaware of. While it doesn't stop me from knowing which is which while everything is in the default views, if I change these, it could get messy. I'm use to 3DSMax so this is more of a nitpick than anything else.

TIA

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
1) I never knew about holding shift and rotating with hammer. There is an option (in options) where you can limit rotations to 15 degree increments.

2) Yes. Hit Ctrl+M. This tool lets your rotate/scale/translate via an input in the X, Y, and Z fields.

3) For me the names show up when you mouse over that window. I'm unsure if there is a setting to keep them up at all times (there might be under the 2d tab of the options menu).

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
I'd also like to note that if you enable the 15° rotation, you can hold (I believe it's) alt while rotating to get exact rotations less than 15.

This is also works for moving objects off a grid (for exact placement, or props that don't touch the grid exactly).

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
I'd also like to note that if you enable the 15° rotation, you can hold (I believe it's) alt while rotating to get exact rotations less than 15.

This is also works for moving objects off a grid (for exact placement, or props that don't touch the grid exactly).

I think it's shift. Alt is to make things not snap to the grid.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Another note, when doing "free" rotation you are constrained to half degree increments, and the current rotation (while dragging) is shown in the status bar.