Quick Hammer Questions

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by kasʞade, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kasʞade

kasʞade L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    1# .Documentation says that holding shift while rotating should turn it in 15° angles. It doesn't do this for me, on two machines I cant rotate at those fixed angles. Trying to put brush work at angles is pretty frustrating when I cant set, or know what angle a brush is on.

2# .Is there a way to rotate a brush via some input ? ( So I can type in 36° etc )

3# .Each of the viewports has a title specifing top / side / front etc, however these titles aren't there perminatly, is this a known bug, or some setting I'm unaware of. While it doesn't stop me from knowing which is which while everything is in the default views, if I change these, it could get messy. I'm use to 3DSMax so this is more of a nitpick than anything else.

TIA

2. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    1) I never knew about holding shift and rotating with hammer. There is an option (in options) where you can limit rotations to 15 degree increments.

2) Yes. Hit Ctrl+M. This tool lets your rotate/scale/translate via an input in the X, Y, and Z fields.

3) For me the names show up when you mouse over that window. I'm unsure if there is a setting to keep them up at all times (there might be under the 2d tab of the options menu).

3. kasʞade

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the quick and helpful responses :)

4. HojoTheGreat

HojoTheGreat L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd also like to note that if you enable the 15° rotation, you can hold (I believe it's) alt while rotating to get exact rotations less than 15.

This is also works for moving objects off a grid (for exact placement, or props that don't touch the grid exactly).

5. kasʞade

Positive Ratings:

6. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think it's shift. Alt is to make things not snap to the grid.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Another note, when doing "free" rotation you are constrained to half degree increments, and the current rotation (while dragging) is shown in the status bar.