Question to expert mappers

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

essobee

L1: Registered
Nov 10, 2009
Is this possible:

Trigger an entity when it comes in the field of view of a player?

Can't be more specific than that, sorry. I want an entity to be triggered (disabled or removed) when it's in the FOV of a player.

I have a feeling of not making sense but i hope someone understand my question.
All help is appreciated!

/SOB

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Certain entitys are triggered when the player can see it, like soundscapes in some cercumstances, is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.
There may be a way to find a certain entity and have it send an output when it's activated (which is from the player seeing it), but I'm not sure its possible without some tricks.
Hopefully Boojum will come around and bestow his infinite entity wisdom.

Aug 19, 2008
i have to guess
i´d say make a triggle_multiple box around the area where the player can see what you want enabled/disabled and set the the boxes client-flag?
Then in its options set
OnStartTouch... --> your entity --> enable
OnEndTouch... --> your entity --> disable

not tested, just guessing :)

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
i have to guess
i´d say make a triggle_multiple box around the area where the player can see what you want enabled/disabled and set the the boxes client-flag?
Then in its options set
OnStartTouch... --> your entity --> enable
OnEndTouch... --> your entity --> disable

not tested, just guessing :)
I'd imagine he wants it only to enable when the player actually looks at it, like a TV screen turning on or something.

I know that the start of Half-Life 2 Episode 2 does this, they talk about it in the commentary. Maybe you could check the decompiled first map of that?

EDIT: Yeah, that'd be trigger_look.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
trigger_look would fit your needs but is annoying and tedious to work with.
To use you need an info_target and of course, the trigger_look itself.

essobee

L1: Registered
Nov 10, 2009
Jeez, you are so helpful. Trigger_look will surely do it. My son just went to sleep so now i'll test it. To be abit more precise i want to disable all info_player_teamspawn that opposing team member looks at.
It's for a mod. If i tell you more i have to kill you, so don't ask :rolleyes:

Tnx a bunch!!!