Question on mapping progression.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I map with optimization in mind but my question is o you guys map and optimize or do you map then optimize at the end?

IE

Map a room, hint, area_portal, func_detail ETC move to the next room, or do that all at the very end before beta.

next question, I've tried to find it, and i swear if anyone links it to this forum im going to shoot myself * I've searched and then searched more*

Creating custom VIS groups. Cordon works great yes <3 Cordon, but i would love to go the extra step.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I map with optimization in mind. Or, more specifically, I try to map so that the structure of my map results in a largely optimized map even before hints and areaportals. Those things are there to help you when the engine doesn't do quite what you want it to, but true visibility control comes from the basic foundation of your map's structure.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Structure, texturing, entity work all blend together for me. Then detail. Then clipping, hinting, area portals are specific steps on their own. I do all before even a beta though. But the optimization steps are last, since you can hide everything except structure and insert them.

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
I map with nodraw and func_detail, leave the hints and area portals for end.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
i optimize every time right before i compile, as I have no desire to leave my computer on all night

TotalMark

Feb 13, 2008
Areaportals on all doors before I move on.

Hints if glview gives me a weird result, sometimes hints anyway.

Most of the stuff now I func_detail, are prefab props I've made earlier.

Clips are added sometimes before the first compile, sometimes after. It depends where I get stuck.

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
i saved all the optimization till last this time including no draw :/, next time ill definitiely be nodrawing and func detailing along the way,

1 thing that helped tremendously on a mirrored map was to place the entire "half" map into a custom visgroup before mirroring it, then you can hide the red side and simply replace all the textures of the blue bases in 1 click provided they are not used in random places - i.e computer wall textures etc.

Benny

L1: Registered
Mar 16, 2008
I always start creating a new wall or whatever,with the Nodraw texture out.
Then after i got the room done,I texture it.

That version has one good site,and a bad one.
Firstly,you won't forget any non nodrawed sides,thatz should be one.
But also it might happen you forgot to texture a side...

Well,then i do my fund_details and other cake.
Im doing areaportals as last....

phatal

Jan 8, 2008
I map with nodraw and func_detail, leave the hints and area portals for end.

Same here, because it saves a lot of time on compiles :)

This is what I do as well. No way I could do the whole level and remember where brushes don't have nodraws on the back. func_detail of course could easily be done near the end but helps speed up compile times.

i saved all the optimization till last this time including no draw :/, next time ill definitiely be nodrawing and func detailing along the way,

1 thing that helped tremendously on a mirrored map was to place the entire "half" map into a custom visgroup before mirroring it, then you can hide the red side and simply replace all the textures of the blue bases in 1 click provided they are not used in random places - i.e computer wall textures etc.

I'm doing this as well since my level will be mirrored.