[Question] Do I need to have TF2 installed to map for it?

iamjagman

L1: Registered
Feb 14, 2011
First of all, to clear something up: I do own tf2, i just don't have it installed on the computer i am going to be using. So, now that that's cleared up, back to the question: Is owning tf2 enough, or does Source SDK have to use local files?

(If you are wondering why it won't be installed, it's because i'm going over to a friends house and the install time is too long since im only going to be over there for a while and just wanted to mess with mapping a little bit since i use mac normally)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I'm pretty confident that: Yes you need it installed.
It reads content from the gcf files (textures/models/and so on)

There's also that thing about needing to run the game at least once for something to work.. can't remember if it was to compile properly or even starting the SDK.

Jan 20, 2010
I'm pretty confident that: Yes you need it installed.
It reads content from the gcf files (textures/models/and so on)

There's also that thing about needing to run the game at least once for something to work.. can't remember if it was to compile properly or even starting the SDK.

Pretty sure you have to run TF2 once in order to choose TF2 in the SDK dropdown.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Got an 8GB+ flash drive? Toss the GCFs on it, and then you can copy them in after the install has begun (close steam first), and then when it tries to continue steam will be all "OH LOOK I HAVE EVERYTHING".