[Question] Do I need to have TF2 installed to map for it?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by iamjagman, Jun 11, 2011.

1. iamjagman

iamjagman L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    First of all, to clear something up: I do own tf2, i just don't have it installed on the computer i am going to be using. So, now that that's cleared up, back to the question: Is owning tf2 enough, or does Source SDK have to use local files?

(If you are wondering why it won't be installed, it's because i'm going over to a friends house and the install time is too long since im only going to be over there for a while and just wanted to mess with mapping a little bit since i use mac normally)

2. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty confident that: Yes you need it installed.
    It reads content from the gcf files (textures/models/and so on)

There's also that thing about needing to run the game at least once for something to work.. can't remember if it was to compile properly or even starting the SDK.

3. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty sure you have to run TF2 once in order to choose TF2 in the SDK dropdown.

4. iamjagman

iamjagman L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    *Groan* - guess i'm gonna take a few hours downloading tf2 then.

5. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Would you really want to map without testing it anyway?

edit: ah its just for a few hours. gotcha.

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Got an 8GB+ flash drive? Toss the GCFs on it, and then you can copy them in after the install has begun (close steam first), and then when it tries to continue steam will be all "OH LOOK I HAVE EVERYTHING".