Question about spectator camera's

Flying Chicken

L69: Deviant Member
Nov 26, 2009
Well, my friend asked me this question the other day about how to add the spec cameras to his map. I said I don't know, but I would ask. So here I am, asking you guys how to add the spectator points into a map.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
It's an entity called 'info_observer_point'. All the properties should be pretty self-explanatory.

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
If you fly around in spectator mode, and then take a screenshot, the screenshot position and direction (yaw, roll, etc) will be noted in the console (I'm pretty sure).

Then if you type "condump", it will give you a text file of the console.

So basically, if you take screenshots from the exact positions where you want the viewer spectator angles to be, you can then go into Hammer, look up where you took a screenshot (position and orientation) and place an info_observer_point and align it precisely where it looks best.

It's a way to get precise angles on your cameras. (Otherwise you're kind of fudging them.)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
That makes me think; Is there a 'move to co-ordinates' tool in Hammer? :eek:

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Maybe by putting the entity to the very center, and then, in the translate tool, set to move and type in your coordinates? Not tested, though.

Monster Killer

L1: Registered
Nov 24, 2009
I have found that you can do it like this:

In TF2 go to the place using noclip or what ever, then in console type 'getpos'
Then copy the first 3 sets of numbers up untill the ';setang' part.
Then go into hammer and spawn a 'func_useableladder' entity.
Then open its properties and in the 'Start' and 'End' box paste those 3 sets on numbers and it will go to those co-ordinates but i have not found what to do for angle yet.

XFunc_CaRteR

May 14, 2009
Guys, when you put in anything, if you look at the bottom of Hammer, it will tell you the x/y/z coordinates. If you place an entity, it will immediately show you where it is, in terms of x/y/z, in that slot. Just nudge it to the right spot, tie it to an info_observer_point, adjust the yaw/roll/whatever in the entity's properties, and there you are.

Monster Killer

L1: Registered
Nov 24, 2009
Guys, when you put in anything, if you look at the bottom of Hammer, it will tell you the x/y/z coordinates. If you place an entity, it will immediately show you where it is, in terms of x/y/z, in that slot. Just nudge it to the right spot, tie it to an info_observer_point, adjust the yaw/roll/whatever in the entity's properties, and there you are.

Though this will take much longer to do, to get it to the right spot. Though it is a good idea it will just take too long and a lot of work to find the correct co-ordinates.

Stormcaller3801

Jul 5, 2009
Or you could go to the View menu where it has the 'Go to Coordinates' option. Might be useful for going to coordinates. Just throwing that out there.

XFunc_CaRteR

May 14, 2009
Though this will take much longer to do, to get it to the right spot. Though it is a good idea it will just take too long and a lot of work to find the correct co-ordinates.

No it doesn't. You know your spectator camera is going in this corner somewhere. You drop in the info_observer_point near there. Then you just need to look at the coordinates and nudge it into the exact place. It takes seconds.