Question about spectator camera's

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Flying Chicken, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Flying Chicken

Flying Chicken L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, my friend asked me this question the other day about how to add the spec cameras to his map. I said I don't know, but I would ask. So here I am, asking you guys how to add the spectator points into a map.

2. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It's an entity called 'info_observer_point'. All the properties should be pretty self-explanatory.

3. Bockagon

Bockagon L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
  4. Flying Chicken

Flying Chicken L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you both very much.

5. Monster Killer

Monster Killer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, you can also set one of these entities to be the intro camera (The camera a player will see when they enter the server with the map)

6. XFunc_CaRteR

XFunc_CaRteR L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you fly around in spectator mode, and then take a screenshot, the screenshot position and direction (yaw, roll, etc) will be noted in the console (I'm pretty sure).

Then if you type "condump", it will give you a text file of the console.

So basically, if you take screenshots from the exact positions where you want the viewer spectator angles to be, you can then go into Hammer, look up where you took a screenshot (position and orientation) and place an info_observer_point and align it precisely where it looks best.

It's a way to get precise angles on your cameras. (Otherwise you're kind of fudging them.)

7. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    That makes me think; Is there a 'move to co-ordinates' tool in Hammer? :eek:

8. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    I really don't think so, but you could try putting the co-ordinates into an entity and see where it lands, i don't know if it will work though.

9. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe by putting the entity to the very center, and then, in the translate tool, set to move and type in your coordinates? Not tested, though.

10. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    I have found that you can do it like this:

In TF2 go to the place using noclip or what ever, then in console type 'getpos'
    Then copy the first 3 sets of numbers up untill the ';setang' part.
    Then go into hammer and spawn a 'func_useableladder' entity.
    Then open its properties and in the 'Start' and 'End' box paste those 3 sets on numbers and it will go to those co-ordinates but i have not found what to do for angle yet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    The bit after ';setang' in the angle that you are facing.

12. XFunc_CaRteR

Positive Ratings:
    Guys, when you put in anything, if you look at the bottom of Hammer, it will tell you the x/y/z coordinates. If you place an entity, it will immediately show you where it is, in terms of x/y/z, in that slot. Just nudge it to the right spot, tie it to an info_observer_point, adjust the yaw/roll/whatever in the entity's properties, and there you are.

13. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    Though this will take much longer to do, to get it to the right spot. Though it is a good idea it will just take too long and a lot of work to find the correct co-ordinates.

14. Stormcaller3801

Stormcaller3801 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or you could go to the View menu where it has the 'Go to Coordinates' option. Might be useful for going to coordinates. Just throwing that out there.

15. Monster Killer

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, i never noticed that option before :p

16. XFunc_CaRteR

Positive Ratings:
    No it doesn't. You know your spectator camera is going in this corner somewhere. You drop in the info_observer_point near there. Then you just need to look at the coordinates and nudge it into the exact place. It takes seconds.