Question About Map and Gamemode Concept

YouButGayer

L1: Registered
Nov 13, 2021
I have a concept for a map which I'm wondering about, and since I'm new to mapping I wanted feedback on both whether this is even possible or not, and whether this could be a viable map for competitive depending on how the map is balanced. I also posted it to r/truetf2, and have gotten a variety of responses and also a new idea for it.

The main concept is that this map is an Attack/Defense but modified, an example of a map in this gamemode would have 5 control points: A,B,C,D,E.

At first, only A and B are unlocked for attacking on the blue side at first. If blue team captures either A or B, both of the points are considered captured and the next 2 points, C and D, are unlocked for capturing. Same rules apply for these point, then the final Cap will be unlocked.

Another idea for this map is to have the same points design where there are pairs of points being unlocked, but instead of only having to capture one point, the players would have to stand on both points at the same time to capture the pair at the fastest speed. An example of this is that the map has a system where each point would have a max cap of a certain amount of people, for example 3 people, and while they could capture the pair of points through only B, it would be at half the speed that they would have captured it had there been some people at A as well.

For this to work though, I think the distance between the pairs of points should be far enough for the enemy team to capture a good portion of a point if they are aggressive enough, but not for them to be able to entire capture the point every time. Kinda like a mix between tf2 and the gameplay of capturing a site in cs-go.

Please let me know what you think, if you have any suggestions to make the map more balanced, or some ideas for this weird new gamemode that can generally make it better.

Thanks!

Original r/truetf2 thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/truetf2/comments/qswx2y/new_gamemode_idea/

Cyberen

L3: Member
Mar 30, 2021
You can definitely have multiple control points unlock another, but I don't think there's an input that changes the cap speed. Better tinker around in a test map to see what's possible.