Question about geometry

LLamaBoy

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2008
I'm starting to feel like a real idiot here... I have a problem with placing my ground and I'm not sure if there's a real solution for it in the form it is right now.

Here's an image to illustrate:
facesaa9.jpg

If it's not obvious, here's a simple diagram of the situation:

Looking from top down, the corner numbers indicate the elevation level of the face corners, with 0 being the lowest.
Code:
___0___3___
   |   |
   |   |
___3   3___

Essentially, what I want to do (but don't think is possible) is place a brush in the empty space such that I can then apply a displacement onto it.
I realise I could use 2 triangles, but that would make displacing impossible.
The other alternative, I think, is to simply have all the brushes in a row the same, and then just apply the displacement appropriately for each area.

I realise this is probably a simplistic problem for the majority of you, but I'd rather ask a stupid question and be sure of an answer than be ignorant of an easy solution :)

LLamaBoy

Aug 30, 2008
eeerm...
i´d use the vertex tool (shift+v), the straight cube would then have seperate editable corners

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hammer_Vertex_Tool

hope that helps

Oh, I forgot to mention that... It was the first thing I tried. But using the vertex tool won't work, because (as I found out from some other posts here) all the vertices of a face need to be on the same plane; otherwise when you compile or reload the map, it gets "fixed" automatically, resulting in broken continuity and stepping.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Comparing the picture and your diagram, I'm not sure which empty space you are talking about. If simply deleting and re-creating that section of geometry is too much effort, displacements can be stretched into brush-faces without any negative effects. Obviously that's not something you wanna make a habit of, but it's ok if a couple things just don't line up the way you want.

LLamaBoy

Aug 30, 2008
Hm, I was afraid it would be a bit unclear...

What I want to do is place a brush in the area between the 3 selected brush faces, so that it all links up into one continuous surface. The top left corner of the area has a lower Z coordinate than the other three corners. Is there any way to cover this area so that it is possible to apply a displacement on it, or should I redesign the geometry to be more uniform and emulate elevation with displacements?

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Of those 3 highlighted brushes (ill call them (going left to right) A, B, and C)

make 2 brushes, each one with 6 points (make a square brush like normal and cut it in half with the clip too) take the firs brush and vertex edit it so that its faces align with A and B. then take the second brush you made and connect 1 side to you first triangular brush and its other side to C.

By splitting up the brush into 2 bushes you don't need to worry about planes facing themselves :)

EDIT: or do what shmitz says, that works too

Edited Edit: my way will make a hill and flatten the area in-between the threes, his way will make a crease going up to the top, but both work fine

Last edited:

LLamaBoy

Aug 30, 2008
Doh, I knew I was thick! It never even occured to me to vertex that way. It works perfect thanks, I won't forget this trick in a hurry.