Question about beta maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by snowsquirrel, Aug 20, 2017.

1. snowsquirrel

snowsquirrel L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    After reading Tyler's guide on releasing maps, I feel I have reached the point where I can begin the beta stage. My question is: How much 'detailing' is appropriate for a beta map?

2. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    All. Traditionally "beta" meant "ready to unleash upon the general public as opposed to just testing on the TF2Maps servers," so you'd have wanted it to at least look finished.

3. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    Depends. If you're sure layout wont be changed afterwards\minor changes then you might as well do a full artpass along with optimization. Otherwise it could be just minor/barebones detailing with a focus on optimization.

4. snowsquirrel

snowsquirrel L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks. Btw do you know the name of the concrete texture in Borneo's Blue spawn? I can't find it anywhere!

5. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Personally I wouldn't release it to the public workshop unless it was RC, I still test beta on the servers, with just some basic texturing here and there

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  6. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Try searching it under 'ground'. If I'm thinking of the right one: IIRC it has a number 04, it's a very popular texture that's used as concrete.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. nesman

nesman oh god how did this get here

Positive Ratings:
    you can always download the decompiled version of all the valve maps. I do that then open them and look for how its styled and what textures look good together.