CP Quad Damage

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Middle screenshot needs a bit of re-texturing. It's not often good to use one texture for a wall and a floor that meet.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Middle screenshot needs a bit of re-texturing. It's not often good to use one texture for a wall and a floor that meet.

Mid will receive a lot of retexturing and much bigger variety in textures in due time. Right now it's just a blocky building that might as well be devtextured.

Soupstorm

L2: Junior Member
Sep 22, 2009
IMO you should be using mostly dev textures until Alpha 2 or later, when you have a more finalised layout. Doing any detailing at this stage is only going to slow you down. But it's up to you. Either way, I really like the overall flow of the map, and the points themselves are fairly interesting. You just need to scale the map down by around 20-40% depending on the area (hallways should be compressed more than your outdoors, overall).

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
Also, in the first screenshot..

That is quite a lot of rockets all bunched up together. Not sure if that was intentional, but even if multiple rockets can (and are) kept in one building, they shouldn't be that close to eachother. It also doesn't look right since the textures on the rocket are of a noticeably lower resolution than all the textures you have used on the brushes. Also, there is no kind of gap or door to let the rocket take off, or anything to transport it.

This tutorial is useful for avoiding this sort of mistake.

Last edited:

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
IMO you should be using mostly dev textures until Alpha 2 or later, when you have a more finalised layout. Doing any detailing at this stage is only going to slow you down. But it's up to you. Either way, I really like the overall flow of the map, and the points themselves are fairly interesting. You just need to scale the map down by around 20-40% depending on the area (hallways should be compressed more than your outdoors, overall).

I dont find devtextures all that useful for me. I'd rather have the map look similarly like it will look when it's done and do a specific detailing idea i have as soon as possible, even though it oftenly means slowing myself down.
Scaling down is in progress atm. Also I think some areas seemed overscaled simply because they were empty.

Also, in the first screenshot..

That is quite a lot of rockets all bunched up together. Not sure if that was intentional, but even if multiple rockets can (and are) kept in one building, they shouldn't be that close to eachother. It also doesn't look right since the textures on the rocket are of a noticeably lower resolution than all the textures you have used on the brushes. Also, there is no kind of gap or door to let the rocket take off, or anything to transport it.

This tutorial is useful for avoiding this sort of mistake.

It is intentional. The four rocket silos are the namesake of the map :p There are doors for takeoff, they're just not visible in the screenshot. There's not much I can do about the low rocket texture resolution unless I make a custom one which I don't really want to do. I'll see if I can hide the model where it's close to players somehow. Also, the rockets are out of the way so players shouldn't be looking at them much anyway.
As for them being close, it's either that or expanding the silo (when I'm trying to compress the map instead, so not an option) or fucking up my map idea which I'm not willing to do. Also, the TF2 theme is secret bases built way too close to each other. So the rockets being too close kinda fits into it :D

Last edited:

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
Alright, after a quick playthrough, here's what I got:

These stairs don't look right. Maybe add some supports to them?
90_0040.jpg

90_0032.jpg

This wall texture would work best on lower walls rather than huge ones:
90_0039.jpg

Similarly:
90_0036.jpg

This is just the wrong texture:
90_0038.jpg

Instead of using the brick texture, you could turn this into a metal door.
90_0035.jpg

Adding a small bridge here would be useful to those new to the map.
90_0037.jpg

We might need some markers to show exactly where the capture area is. Hazard tape is often used in official Valve maps, so why don't you use it too?
90-4.jpg

Finally, a bit of clipping might be handy:
90_0034.jpg

Otherwise, the map looks very good. Just fix those problems and you should put it up for a gameday.

BTW: Forgot to hide the HUD and the viewmodels till it was too late. Sorry about that ;_;

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Raffi, i don't know if you haven't noticed yet, but not many here really care about having proper texturing or good looking stairs in alphas, this is because alpha is for gameplay testing, so looks are ignored for time begin.

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
Alphas are usually in dev textures; this map probably would have been better off, at the moment, using dev textures. Awry texturing and structures could be a bit distracting.

But okay, I forgive that this is still in alpha.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
Alphas usually are in devtextures, but as I said above, I don't use them. And I definitely will not use devtextures for the sake of using devtextures.

Do not apologize for not hiding hud when you are putting your time and effort into giving me feedback. It'd be rather impolite of me to get pissy about a scattergun instead of being thankful about the feedback. However, it's better if you wait with clipping and texturing feedback until I get the map into beta stage. Even though I have some detailing in my map, at this point I don't really care if a texture is wrong somewhere.

As for putting the map up for gameday, as a donator, I don't really need gamedays anymore :p

And I didn't use hazard tape simply because I am very lazy.

Last edited:

Soupstorm

L2: Junior Member
Sep 22, 2009
I dont find devtextures all that useful for me. I'd rather have the map look similarly like it will look when it's done and do a specific detailing idea i have as soon as possible, even though it oftenly means slowing myself down.
I used to be the same way. Trust me, it only serves to slow down development and make your map less awesome in the end. Detailed areas take longer to change, and the more detailed something is, the less willing you'll be to change or remove it, regardless of how it might be negatively impacting the map flow.

Scaling down is in progress atm. Also I think some areas seemed overscaled simply because they were empty.
It's not that the areas were empty, it's that it took forever for any class but Scout to get anywhere. Adding cover will help, but if the areas are too large to begin with, the gameplay will perpetually suffer.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
I used to be the same way. Trust me, it only serves to slow down development and make your map less awesome in the end. Detailed areas take longer to change, and the more detailed something is, the less willing you'll be to change or remove it, regardless of how it might be negatively impacting the map flow.

It's not that the areas were empty, it's that it took forever for any class but Scout to get anywhere. Adding cover will help, but if the areas are too large to begin with, the gameplay will perpetually suffer.

I've rebuilt Morras Castle 3 or 4 times completely when it was quite detailed. I'm not afraid of changing anything anymore :D

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009

After compressing only the middle point area and just filling in empty space everywhere else, the "overscaled" comments seem to have disappeared. So I was right after all :p

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
IN MY OPINION

You should rethink the middle point. It's high, cramped, and narrow, which makes it difficult to attack and trivial to defend. The center would probably benefit from the fences being removed, the point being halved, and additional more open routes being added.

THATS WHAT I THINK

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I think fences should go and point remain same, the point is pretty cool fight on and gives variety of new tactics for all classes. (And it is not another badlands clone, i am sick of those)