Push for a community map release this year

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Chilly, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Chilly

Chilly L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    As most of you know, Valve won't be releasing another class update until 2009. I'm trying to make a push for the community getting behind a couple of custom maps that Valve could release in the meantime, just to hold the community over.

My thread is on the Steam forums here:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8283421

If you have suggestions, feedback, etc, please post it over there. I'm just hoping to get a good number of people behind this so we can try getting Valve to make a release. It could also help one of TF2maps.net's mappers by getting their map included, which would be cool. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  2. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    inb4hoodoo

But seriously, even though it's not a TF2maps.net product, Boulder is such an amazing map that doesn't get any play time what so ever. It needs to be promoted by Valve asap.

3. Zwiffle

Zwiffle L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Boulder is awesome. I love that map.

From what I've seen playing Hoodoo, people either outright love it or outright hate it. I personally like it.

That leaves a CTF map, but I can't think of any really amazing CTF maps that I've played recently.

4. Arhurt

Arhurt L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'll release ctf_aerospace_b2 today and will post there

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
  6. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    TBQH ctf_mach4 is well overdue for an officialness treatment

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Mach4 isn't in the list because its a remake of an earlier map by another author. If this wasn't the case it would be in the list for sure and probably would have been released instead of turbine in the first update....

8. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Dont think Youme's Hoodoo OR Arhurt's Aerospace would make it cause they're not the final versions of the maps...

9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    That didn't stop steel or turbine getting the valve treatment...

besides, this vote is for the three maps you'd most like to see get published by valve, not which you think they'd pick
    ;)

10. Chilly

Positive Ratings:
    I think both aerospace and hoodoo have been tweaked enough that they could be considered final versions anyway. Both maps have fewer bugs than the stock maps did when TF2 came out, if that's any indication.

Voting is now live, and I've added a draft of the email to the bottom of the webpage. Let me know if there are any issues. Pass this along to as many players as you know, since the more voters we get, the more likely Valve is to listen. :)

http://www.yinyarr.com/Community_Map_Vote.aspx

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hoodoo FTW :)
    1st place with 32 votes followed by meridian with 17.

12. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Jezus I didn't know arhurt finished up aero.
    And what the hell is that japan map doing there.

13. Chilly

Positive Ratings:
    I think aero could use one more revision to wrap up any existing bugs or balance issues, but it's awesome as it is as well.

I added Japan and then removed it because I didn't think it should be there, then it was requested by 2 more people so it went on. It's actually one of the more fun 5CP maps out there, although it could really use a 3D skybox and some detail work. It's far from the worst map on the list, though... that would be either cp_desertfortress (8 snipers per team?) or pl_dynamite5 (it's fun to get trapped in your spawn, right?).

14. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    thread stickied.

15. Arhurt

Arhurt L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sure it does, I've already fixed a host of clipping/balance issues, including the lack of health ammo pickups around the map. It's not like they'd just get the current version and drop it in the game :p