Purple glass, why is it purple

Explodeyman

L1: Registered
Feb 11, 2011
So Ive been making a new map and i remembered that I needed a cubemap so i added one, but after i added it, i noticed In-game that the glass has a purple tint.
Why is that? Any help?
purpleglass.png

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
When you go in-game, type in console:

Code:
mat_specular 0 ; buildcubemaps ; mat_specular 1 ; disconnect ; mat_reloadallmaterials

The latter two are just if you want to see the reflections without restarting TF2; launching an official map would work as well.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
changelevel yourmap.bsp

that's all you need.

Don't forget mat_specular 1 after building cubemaps. Otherwise things stay non-reflective.

Also you do actually need to load another map in between, or restart TF2 (loading another map is easier of course). I've tried just reloading the same map right away, it doesn't reload the materials with the cubemaps and everything. Maybe I did it wrong, but if there's a right way without loading another map I'd like to know it for convenience.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
No, you're right, you do need to load another map in between. I don't think specular matters. Maybe it does. I don't know.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
turning specular off just stops the purple checkers from being recorded in the reflections. Otherwise you get purple checkers in your otherwise working reflections.

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
But if you don't re-enable it, doesn't it stay off until you put in the command or until you restart TF2 (thus not allowing you to observe your reflections)? That's what I was getting at. It's been so long since I've done the process without resetting it to 1 manually that I don't remember if it does change back to default on map change.

Explodeyman

L1: Registered
Feb 11, 2011
Everything that you all said seems to be working so thanks!

The_Ulf

May 26, 2009
I've always just done:
mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
map *MAPNAMEHERE*
mat_specular 1

Seems to work correctly...? Don't think you need a full disconnect/load another map.