PL Pumping Station

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Dom.U, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Dom.U

Dom.U L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    This is my first team fortress 2 map. Its in very early alpha, Extremly Work in progress. Currently just using Dev textures until the main design of the map is decided on.
    It has an alpine theme and involves blue attacking red. The map is based around a red alpine water pumping station. Water is pumped from nearby springs and barreld into high quality drinking water.

There will be 2 checkpoints on the payload track.

All ideas and comments welcome please give constructive feed back.

:)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Front what I can see in the first image, that map is waaaaay to open and waaaaaaaay too flat.

3. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    love the architecture and general layout of the city. great job for a first map! Like frozen said, it's far too open and not enough blocking geometry to define real path choices and prevent snipers/scouts/spys from having their freedom.

4. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    You should probably consider scaling down some of those buildings and moving them closer together. The flat open space between the buildings is huge.

But that's just judging from the screenshots.

5. D4RKSL4Y3R

D4RKSL4Y3R L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    considering this is your first map the pacing is very good

6. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Problems aside, this isn't too bad for a first map. Just re-do the layout so it isn't so open and I'm certain you'll have a great map.

7. Dom.U

Positive Ratings:
    yea thanks guys for all the advice for a start this map is just a rough outline so i will definatly be enclosing the map and reducing open spaces. i also wanted to create different areas taylored to specific classes like long thin allyways for snipers and short side routs for scouts with double jump.
    I am still adding more structures to the map and will then move onto the terrain height.

Thansk all :)

8. Dom.U

Positive Ratings:
    Would you be so kind as to point out some areas in need of less open space please? :)

9. Tom Hoen

Tom Hoen L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  10. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    You'd be better off just re-doing the map with a different layout. Your map is so open that breaking up the sightlines will be one hell of a task.

11. Dom.U

Positive Ratings:
    How does the layout look now ? see screen shot 3 :)
    I rearranged the first area outside the blue spawn to remove lots of the open space, i also added some water silos to break up lines of sight in the second area.

:)

12. Tom Hoen

Tom Hoen L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The problem as I see it now is that this map looks too much like a real facility. Yes it's good in singleplayer games but in TF2 there should be lots of height variation and little bit of surrealism. Good example of hightvariation and surrealism is pl_barnbliz. Major surrealism will be added in detailing but should be overlooked in alpha. Most of your sightlines would be fixed if you added hills and pits where the cart or players have to go. Hightvariation adds interesting gameplay, bland ground is blaah.