Propper

d4rk

L1: Registered
May 8, 2013
Ive recently added some more additions to my map and have ran into a few compile errors (max brush faces).

My hammer and all of my steamapps etc folders are so messed up and all this converting to steampipe is doing my head in. Im able to run hammer directly from "teamfortress 2/bin".

I have a few models that need to be rendered through propper in order to get my brush faces down and hopefully allow me to finish my map.

They are all ready to go I just need someone with propper working to render them out and send the result. this shouldnt take more then a few mins :)

Can someone that could do this for me reply to this thread or pm me so I can send them the files, thankyou.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I was under the impression Propper was indefinitely out of action for everone?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
It is. There was news of one person trying to create a replacement for it, but there's been nothing from them since then.

What I've had to resort to is using Wall Worm to import my props (saved as .vmfs) into 3DS Max and export them into models from there. Results have been... mixed, so far, due to my inexperience with both. I also have no idea how I'd do things like make it cull certain faces, something I liked about Propper.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Dud link.

I want to get Joiner exporting to various model formats as well as just VMF, so once I've set that up it shouldn't take much of a stretch to recreate a rudimentary version of propper, since I'll already have VMF importing done by then.

d4rk

May 8, 2013
Dud link.

I want to get Joiner exporting to various model formats as well as just VMF, so once I've set that up it shouldn't take much of a stretch to recreate a rudimentary version of propper, since I'll already have VMF importing done by then.

Well keep us posted because I dont think ill be able to compile my map until i can prop stuff.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Dud link.
Dang. He really did give up hardcore. I didn't check the link myself because every time I go to any place on the Steam forums, it sets a time bomb that marks every single thread as read five minutes after my last known activity on it. It's very annoying.

Good to hear there's interest in building a replacement from someone who won't drop off the face of the earth in a few weeks. Probably.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well keep us posted because I dont think ill be able to compile my map until i can prop stuff.

Do not hold your breath, I'm not making joiner to replace propper so I won't even be thinking about it's functionality until after joiner is done. So there will be nothing from me that you can use for weeks at best.

Until then you should do what everyone else has to, export from hamer to .DMX (or whatever that format is) then import it i into a 3D package (blender is free) then export from that as you would for a normal prop. It's more long winded, you'll have to re UV map it and manually create the VMT files but it's very doable and the only option open to you.

And to Steve, don't hold your breath either, I don't drop off the face of the Earth but I have been known to hit a roadblock and just drop a project without warning. Hopefully it won't happen this time. We'll see.

duppy

Feb 16, 2012
Just wanted to add TopHattWaffle's tutorial to the tutorials mention here on getting Propper to work after the SteamPipe update:

http://www.tophattwaffle.com/configuring-propper-for-steampipe/

...I followed along and got it working with TF2. The only thing that was really different for me is that while creating a mod, I chose "Start a Multiplayer mod from a template (advanced users)". Creating the Half-Life 2 mods were grayed out for me, which made me think I had to own Half-Life 2 or the OrangeBox, but apparently you don't.

BTW, sorry to "necro" this 19 day old thread...but it was the most recent thread I saw about Propper and didn't want to bother making a new thread.