Propper - for mappers who need custom props

psihomir

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 17, 2008
I just came across this and I think it can come in handy quite a lot for those of us who need props regularly, but don't have the time to learn a modelling tool. It's not my work, mind you, I'm just posting it here.

Propper is an edited version of vbsp that outputs a model instead of a bsp.

Many mappers need to make props for their maps, but don't want to learn a seperate modeling program. This tool allows them to make models in Hammer in a one-step process. It's also useful to modelers who work with mappers. No other method of .vmf export keeps texture mapping intact, or auto-generates a physics mesh.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Propper

Still in beta so there might be some problems.

Last edited:

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
This will sure not make you able to create real models in hammer, more like turning func_detail stuff into models for performance reasons. And this would also be possible by importing a vmf into XSI.

But i see this here is way easier, and you dont need any extra software. But as i am currently learning how to model, i guess its nothing i would need.

psihomir

Mar 17, 2008
Just a note before I go further: make sure the brushes are NOT func_detail. The Propper makes func_detail brushes non-solid - you can use this to alter the collision mesh to your needs.

As for when this is needed: whenever you have a piece of geometry that's constantly repeated throughout the level. Like a set of stairs or something. The thing is, props get rendered differently from brushes - a prop gets rendered once and it gets cached, and then it's recalled from the cache every time it needs to be drawn. Brushes are rendered anew every time. So it would be pointless to convert something which is only used in the map once.

Also, I noticed in the article that it still doesn't support automatic culling, but it handles tool textures properly. So make sure you nodraw any faces that are not going to be seen to save performance.

Last edited:

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
eerie, that an upcoming thing according to the wiki.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
this is a great find! If you are able to turn an entire maps into models, then it has just given me some great ideas on what could be done with them! Thanks! Im gonna try this out later.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
can it convert displacements into models? if so i <3 it

Eh. Depends on where the displacement is to be honest. You'd just end up with crappy lighting on a model converted from a displacement because Source is old school and doesn't allow lightmaps on models. (Unlike every other engine since 2004...)

Oh and...

"zombie@computer reports an incompatibility with the orangebox sdk"

:(

psihomir

Mar 17, 2008
Oh and...

"zombie@computer reports an incompatibility with the orangebox sdk"

:(

He said he later got it to work in the original thread though: [ame="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970412"]New tool for Mappers: Propper - Steam Users' Forums[/ame]

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Doesn't do anything for me when I "compile" the map using Propper. :(

Ankh

L3: Member
Sep 18, 2008
ok, it's tough to get work, but I can get it running

I've had to load up the episode 1 engine and compile the prop there because it doesn't work in the orange box one, I've had to manually place the model in the right directory, I assume because my map is in the mapsrc directory, not the one I'm outputting to, and I've had to run studiomdl.exe afterwards, but I have gotten it to work.

I'm still not getting it 100% reliable, but it's getting there. I'll update later with any further results