Propper - for mappers who need custom props

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by psihomir, Oct 4, 2009.

1. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just came across this and I think it can come in handy quite a lot for those of us who need props regularly, but don't have the time to learn a modelling tool. It's not my work, mind you, I'm just posting it here.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Propper

Still in beta so there might be some problems.

• Thanks Thanks x 20
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. Wacky Snoopy is

Wacky Snoopy is L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, should be useful. I'll test it sometime..

3. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Interesting...

4. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome, I wanted something like this.

5. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    This will sure not make you able to create real models in hammer, more like turning func_detail stuff into models for performance reasons. And this would also be possible by importing a vmf into XSI.

But i see this here is way easier, and you dont need any extra software. But as i am currently learning how to model, i guess its nothing i would need.

6. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I think everybody knew that

7. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    do anyone know how converting func_details into models affects the file size? is it really worth it, if the map runs fine with func_details? or is it more for these situations where you are ready to sacrifice some bytes for a decent framerate?

8. psihomir

Positive Ratings:
    Just a note before I go further: make sure the brushes are NOT func_detail. The Propper makes func_detail brushes non-solid - you can use this to alter the collision mesh to your needs.

As for when this is needed: whenever you have a piece of geometry that's constantly repeated throughout the level. Like a set of stairs or something. The thing is, props get rendered differently from brushes - a prop gets rendered once and it gets cached, and then it's recalled from the cache every time it needs to be drawn. Brushes are rendered anew every time. So it would be pointless to convert something which is only used in the map once.

Also, I noticed in the article that it still doesn't support automatic culling, but it handles tool textures properly. So make sure you nodraw any faces that are not going to be seen to save performance.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  9. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    can it convert displacements into models? if so i <3 it

10. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    eerie, that an upcoming thing according to the wiki.

11. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    this is a great find! If you are able to turn an entire maps into models, then it has just given me some great ideas on what could be done with them! Thanks! Im gonna try this out later.

12. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Eh. Depends on where the displacement is to be honest. You'd just end up with crappy lighting on a model converted from a displacement because Source is old school and doesn't allow lightmaps on models. (Unlike every other engine since 2004...)

Oh and...

"zombie@computer reports an incompatibility with the orangebox sdk"

:(

13. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
  14. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Hooooly moly. This is awesome. Must try it out.

15. psihomir

Positive Ratings:
    He said he later got it to work in the original thread though: [ame="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970412"]New tool for Mappers: Propper - Steam Users' Forums[/ame]

16. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would be singing halelujah if this worked for displacements. But it doesn't.

17. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Doesn't do anything for me when I "compile" the map using Propper. :(

18. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Same here. :(
    Has anyone managed to get it to work ? This looks like it could be incredibly useful... :O

19. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Me as well. And I actually need propper now, for both of my maps.

20. Ankh

Ankh L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    ok, it's tough to get work, but I can get it running

I've had to load up the episode 1 engine and compile the prop there because it doesn't work in the orange box one, I've had to manually place the model in the right directory, I assume because my map is in the mapsrc directory, not the one I'm outputting to, and I've had to run studiomdl.exe afterwards, but I have gotten it to work.

I'm still not getting it 100% reliable, but it's getting there. I'll update later with any further results