prop_physics_multiplayer + water

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
i've got a couple of buckets i've set to prop phys multiplayer on my map.
originally it was causing crashes, so i upped teh mass scale from 1 to 2, that seemed to fix it, until, while knocking them around, one went in water. when i tried to knock it while it was in water, it caused the game to crash.

i've not had problems with other models (namely: crates, cones, cans, bottles), so i'm wondering if i need some special settings to make it work for the buckets.

i've got them flagged as debris, physics impact damage scale at 0.5 and mass scale at 1 (except on buckets, where it's 2).

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I would say try turning off the debris flag, but you might have to settle for it being a static prop. Think about the Valve maps, there are very few physics models, and none are near water. Wooden barrels are the most common, and I think arena_lumberyard has a few soda cans to shoot around, but that's it. Since physics props are also very expensive, you should only add a couple in areas of heavy fighting. If you get it to work, let us know, but I don't think there's any way to know which props will work w/ physics in TF2.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Check for a physics flag in the model info :p

I think the list of physics props used in valve maps is: breakable barrels, orange traffic cones, beer bottles, beer cans. And that's about it. And yeah, you'll notice them all off to the side in places where intense fighting doesn't usually occur.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
I don't understand why TF2 has that few prop_physics. CSS has a lot, and by A LOT I mean A LOT of them compared to TF2.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I don't understand why TF2 has that few prop_physics. CSS has a lot, and by A LOT I mean A LOT of them compared to TF2.

TF2 isn't aiming to have a realistic and interactive environment, but rather, the opposite. The only things that are dynamic are players and objectives, the ambience is static- in Gold Rush, there are carts on slopes that technically should be rolling away, but TF2 aims to provide the look of a piece of mid-1900's art, so scenery is static.

In essence, TF2 isn't CSS, TF2 is a highly stylised environment while CSS aims to be realistic.

Ezekel

Dec 16, 2008
thing is that the beer bottle isn't flagged as physics, it's dynamic and static. yet it's on 2fort, and i've seen it used on youme's 1/2 acre.
whereas, the crate that says "dynamite" on it IS a physics prop, but i've never seen it used as such (but with a mass of over 1000 i'm not that surprised to be honest)

one thing i've found that works though, is if i make sure the mass x the mass scale multiplier gives a result of over 30. i'mguessing objects with higher mass have collision detection less often since they'll generally not go flying with as much force.

i think also that using the parameters of base,metal.small for buckets and base,wooden.large for crates probably help too.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I think the dynamite box is physics because it's breakable, not because it should be flying.

Ezekel

Dec 16, 2008
that's probably true

ok what about the bottle? it's on 2fort and isn't physics (the beerbottle has dynamic and static) but is still used as a physics multi prop. and 2fort has water on the level.
now regardless of proximity to water, if water + physics causes problems, any mapper would know that just having water on the map no matter where opens the possibility of the object ending up in the water and would therefore make sure either 1 or the other isn't on the same map

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
I don't really think TF2 has few physics because the "style"...

I think it's because TF2 is a lot more server side expensive than CSS (9 classes and lots of different weapons) so they had to cut down the physics.