prop_dynamic-related - "Disable" or "Hide"?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MOCOLONI, Dec 13, 2015.

1. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey there. So it's been a question to me for a long time. When I wanted a named entity to disappear, I didn't know what input to apply on it: "Disable" or "TurnOff". I tested them both in different map versions and both gave the same result: becomes invisible, shadows disappear, solidity removed. If there's a difference between these inputs, could someone tell them? Thank you.

P.S: I've already read the wiki and it says it just removes the visibility of the entity, but it doesn't say that it also removes the solidity when it does.
    EDIT: "TurnOff" instead of "Hide", I don't know where I got it from...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I always use the disable input, but since it dosn't change the collision you have to use it with the DisableCollision input.

I forgot if TurnOff will also also disables the colision or not. Just try it out, if it dosn't then it dosn't matter if you use disable or TurnOff

• Like Like x 1
  3. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Which entity class are we talking about here? It is kinda important.

4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Title says prop_dynamic

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MOCOLONI

Positive Ratings:
    I think that disabling the entity will completely "remove" it, alongside its collision. The "DisableCollision" input is self-explanatory: disables only the collision, leaving the entity (and its shadows, if available) visible.
    Mainly about "prop_dynamic", but also about those that support the "Disable" and/or "TurnOff" inputs.

6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    nope, that's basicly what the "kill" input does. "disable", just as TurnOff, will only disable the visuals of that entity, but it's still there, and with "enable" and "enableColision" you can bring it back.

7. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    Disabling something does remove it's collison I'm quite sure, however it doesnt just delete the object like kill does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Did you ever test this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If that last image isn't clear, it's showing that the collision is gone.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I did, but that was quite some time ago, so I guess I used TurnOff before.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MOCOLONI

Positive Ratings:
    Alright. After a few more testings, I now realized that "TurnOff" just removes the entity's visibility, while "DisableCollision" removes its collision, as self-explanatory. I'm sure that "TurnOff" somehow removed the collisions too, so I've been confused on which input to use. Anyway, to fully "remove" (but not kill) the entity, use the "Disable" input. The other inputs related to the entity would be "DisableCollision", "DisableShadow" and "TurnOff". Thank you all, guys!