Prop shadows casting wrong

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
Ive no idea why some of my prop_dynamic shadows are casting wrong.

I looked at 2fort and cant find any setting that corrects this associated with the props.

This is an example of what I mean.

21mauq9.png

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
There is an entity, 'shadow_control' simply set the angle and colour to match that of the light_environment and the shadow will look normal if the prop is outside, if the prop continues to look bad turn its shadow off using the "disable shadows" keyvalue

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Isn't there a way to set a specific props shadow direction? I'll look into it.. but someone will probably beat me to it.

Couldn't find anything, dynamic props are just awkward.. several times i've had a dynamic prop cast the shadow of a completely different model. :mellow:

Your best bet is to do as Youme suggested.

Last edited:

DasMatze

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2008
Disable the shadows and surround it with a brush with the blocklight texture on it. Then it has shadows like a prop_static.

DasMatze

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If it covers the models origin it will also cause the lockers to render in shade. He'll need to change the lighting origin of the prop. Which isn't that hard.. just awkward. A lot of effert simply for an accurate shadow.

If you want to do as DasMatze suggested, change the lighting origin to a point outside of the "block light" brush. An origin of similar lighting conditions, of course.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
99% of the time it doesn't show but I think your light_env has a very sharp angle?
The guys above me gave you some options that are worth trying though :)

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I noticed in 2fort some of the shadows for the cabinets are wrong too, just less noticeable.

For now I just turned them off - tho Im going to try the lighting origin/path_corner suggestion (in the prop_dynamic help box).

I use a sharp angle for the outside areas so I dont want to change that.

Ive totally forgotten how to change the objects origin.

Last edited:

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Odd... in the prop_dynamic it says:

"Select a path_corner entity to specify a location to sample lighting from, instead of using this entity's origin."

The path_corner doesnt even exist, I tried info_lighting but that didnt work.

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
There is an entity, 'shadow_control' simply set the angle and colour to match that of the light_environment and the shadow will look normal if the prop is outside, if the prop continues to look bad turn its shadow off using the "disable shadows" keyvalue
youme nails it, ... again