Prop problems

JohnDoeIs

L1: Registered
Apr 1, 2011
hello, have a couple of questions:
1) is it possible for a prop_static to recieve shadows from geometry?
2) can model fading be disabled in the game itself? (to take some map-preview screenshots)
thank you!

DucatiBon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2009
i believe there is something in there that says "receive vertex shadows" i could be wrong, at work atm

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
If props didn't receive shadows from geometry, most of the models in maps would be fully-lit :p

As for the prop fade distance, I think there's a way to disable it, I just can't remember atm; try looking around the VDC.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Props not receiving shadows happens because under default compile settings, the compiler just looks at the prop's origin, checks the intensity and direction(s) of light(s) received by that point, and shades the prop accordingly. Good enough for most cases, but doesn't account for props that are partially in light and partially in shadow.

For that, you need the -staticproplighting compile option, which calculates and generates light levels for every individual vertex (point where polygons intersect) on the prop. This, along with -staticproppolys and -textureshadows, should be used once your map is far enough along that you want it to look "finished". (Don't bother with them for alphas and early betas.) For an explanation of what these do, see this article.

JohnDoeIs

Apr 1, 2011
thanks everyone (especially stevethepocket!)
another question:
i have quite a bit of detailed geometry, should i
a) func_lod it?
b) turn it into a prop? (i heard there's some nifty program for quickly converting geometry into models)

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
func_lod is also nice if the geometry is quite small (like the metal 'clamp' around the pillar at Granary 2/4).

JohnDoeIs

Apr 1, 2011
i read something about func_detail not reducing waterindices like entities should, which is why i thought func_lod would be better although slightly more expensive. i don't want to hit the limit and have to start hunting for pieces of detail to change.
eg: if i have a fancy pillar i usually func_detail the pillar itself and func_lod everything else. not sure if i'm doing it right :\

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's hard to hit the limit. Use func_detail, and if you need to, use func_lod at the end of your map cycle.