Project Kronos

PL Project Kronos A7

OctoBlitz

Sabotage related, and Tak approved!
aa
Jan 15, 2016
Project Kronos - "Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty!"

Project Kronos: Welcome to Paradise my friends.

This is a 3 stage Payload map with emphesis on elevation* and a looming threat that needs to be stopped.

As of A1, there is only Stage 1: which takes place on a Shipping yard...

Stages 2 and 3 are going to come later, as I want to perfect each stage before moving onto the next, so please be patient with the development of all 3 stages.

Things I know that are wrong with the map:
  • poor lighting in some areas due to skybox (W.I.P)
  • dark in some indoor areas due to missing lights (will be fixed in A2)
  • Some areas have unavoidable chokepooints that need to be adressed (W.I.P)
  • Sniper Sightlines being too great (estimated to be fixed by A2)
  • Little health, and a slight overabundence in Ammo... (Will be adressed in A2)
  • *Not enough height variation from what might be expected (W.I.P)
  • No Cowbell...
Hope you enjoy the map! It took me 2 YEARS just to get to this point...

Last edited:

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
I can really see you've improved these past 2 years!!

I'm a little worried about the last point on this first stage, as red basically spawns right on the tracks. I've done this before and it usually makes it really hard to cap, but obviously we will see in testing! :)

Also
elevation*
This astrisk doesn't lead to another one and it's all alone :<

Overall can't wait to play it in testing!

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
WOW! I have absolutly no life! This is the first update to Project Kronos, cannot wait for more feedback!
  • added lighting in areas that were too dark
  • moved cover for red to have better defensive options
  • created new flank route around to red spawn
  • Hollowed out buildings to add slight height adventages within the map
  • added more health and ammo near red's spawn
  • added more cover near the first point
  • broke up sniper sightlines near the first point
  • fixed issue reguarding people being able to shoot through doors
Have fun!

Read the rest of this update entry...

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
PROJECT KRONOS HAS RECIEVED A MAJOR UPDATE!
  • Have Reduced Sightlines so Snipers have to work for their headshots
  • Added more cover for Red's last and Blu's spawn
  • Added needed cover within Blu spawn to reduce spawn camping
  • Added more highground at Blu Spawn
  • Turned the building next to Red Spawn 180 degrees
  • Moved/added/removed Health and Ammo
  • Removed spawn door next to tracks at Red spawn
  • Changed respawn times to benefit Red after Blu caps the first point
Please send feedback of any kind to help the production of updates for the map and hopefully allow me to move onto stages 2 & 3 asap!

Happy testing! :medal:

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
I hate to be that guy, but, you misspelled paradise in your tagline.
ONTOPIC : The map overall looks pretty neat, and it seems you've also improved!

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
I hate to be that guy, but, you misspelled paradise in your tagline.
ONTOPIC : The map overall looks pretty neat, and it seems you've also improved!

Fixed the spelling error, also thanks for the compliment!

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
No problem!

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
Hi there, I remember playing this map on the US server not long ago, and there are a few things I'd like to point out.

The main issue I have with the map is the final cap area. Playing as a defending engie, there were NO good sentry spots anywhere near the final point, which made it increasingly difficult to defend without rebuilding every minute, attackers had too much height advantage and powerful flanks ;Not to mention the flat, boring geometry surrounding the area.

Suggested improvements:
-Give RED slightly more height advantage (e.g. a second floor, bridges)
-Maybe you could try fiddle around with the last point's geometry .
-Design some tucked away but still vulnerable sentry spots (e.g. like the common sentry locatations on badwater's last)
-Add cover to surrounding area.
-Replace the route leading RED's spawn with a door that disables after the 2nd point is captured.
-Decrease the size of the giant courtyard.
-Block off some of the obvious sniper sightlines.

Hope you'll find this useful, this map has potential, looking forward to seeing the other stages!

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
Hi there, I remember playing this map on the US server not long ago, and there are a few things I'd like to point out.

The main issue I have with the map is the final cap area. Playing as a defending engie, there were NO good sentry spots anywhere near the final point, which made it increasingly difficult to defend without rebuilding every minute, attackers had too much height advantage and powerful flanks ;Not to mention the flat, boring geometry surrounding the area.

Suggested improvements:
-Give RED slightly more height advantage (e.g. a second floor, bridges)
-Maybe you could try fiddle around with the last point's geometry .
-Design some tucked away but still vulnerable sentry spots (e.g. like the common sentry locatations on badwater's last)
-Add cover to surrounding area.
-Replace the route leading RED's spawn with a door that disables after the 2nd point is captured.
-Decrease the size of the giant courtyard.
-Block off some of the obvious sniper sightlines.

Hope you'll find this useful, this map has potential, looking forward to seeing the other stages!

Thanks for the feedback! As for the previous version, I saw how red was strugling and I have decided to give them WAY more cover than before and I gave Blu a possible harder time by removing major flanks and by even flat out removing certain health and ammo that they would retreat to as well as making more of the health and ammo packs easily available to red, as well as adding more cover around the blue spawn and the first cap in order to give red more of a fighting chance. The map will be tested sometime today and I strongly suggest that possibly you or anyone else who is interested in the map to join.

For Blu, I dont really know if they can benifit from this, however I am hoping with some great coordination, they can easilly make it past red's first few defenses...

Again thanks for the feedback, cannot wait to get more today during the imp!

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
PROJECT KRONOS HAS RECIEVED AN UPDATE
Moved Health and ammo to better locations
fixed clipping issues and prop traps
Added a window to Blu spawn to help the team preperate for the match
Widened door ways for more ease of access
Added a displacement near flank
blocked off an area that used to be an exit in red spawn

Special thanks to @SmallBiscuit who will be helping me with working on future updates to the map!

Happy testing!:medal:

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
Project Kronos change log
Raised the height of the tracks at last to give more elevation to the defending team
Changed most of the health and ammo to smaller sizes
Added additional health cabinates in blu spawn
added one way door to building to flank route
Added new path to the flankroute
moved health and ammo to inside of the building next to red spawn
Clipped off most of the crates in the map
Changed window texture for the outside of blu spawn

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Added new path to the flankroute

No, just no. When we tested this map, there was too many alternate routes. Players could completely bypass the Payload's tracks, and any defense RED set up. This meant that the map was near undefendable as RED was always being flanked and taken out from way too many angles. There were no chokepoints for RED to defend either, BLU could always find a way to uproot any defense, no matter how much power it had. If Berry hadn't used her Berryer powers to build a Sentry on the freight containers, RED would have not won a single round.

m8IYoEg.jpg

Take a look at this, this is the condensing I heavily recommend you put this map through. The RED means areas to remove, and the Blue means things to add. As you can see this removes the far off flank routes for BLU, creating chokepoints for RED to defend BLU against.

The building I suggest near RED's spawn makes it harder for BLU to spawn camp by putting their entrance further from RED's door, and having less space. It also brings the exit closer to Last, which is what BLU should go to anyways, not RED's spawn. The Cyan arrow is a ramp, so that the exit platform is level with the platform RED comes out on.

I also recommended changing the building by the first point. The new building I suggest changes the flank route so it leads into the chokepoint at A, rather than bypassing it. This gives RED a foothold so they won't lose A with no effort from BLU. I also recommend blocking a part of the battlement that you can access from the staircase in the gray building, so that while RED is more powerful, they aren't too powerful on the first point.

And for that building directly across from BLU spawn, the only value it served is getting players stuck behind crates, removing simplifies the map.

I hope you take this map destroying feedback into consideration, because if you do I think this map could have a pretty fun first stage.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
No, just no. When we tested this map, there was too many alternate routes. Players could completely bypass the Payload's tracks, and any defense RED set up. This meant that the map was near undefendable as RED was always being flanked and taken out from way too many angles. There were no chokepoints for RED to defend either, BLU could always find a way to uproot any defense, no matter how much power it had. If Berry hadn't used her Berryer powers to build a Sentry on the freight containers, RED would have not won a single round.

m8IYoEg.jpg

Take a look at this, this is the condensing I heavily recommend you put this map through. The RED means areas to remove, and the Blue means things to add. As you can see this removes the far off flank routes for BLU, creating chokepoints for RED to defend BLU against.

The building I suggest near RED's spawn makes it harder for BLU to spawn camp by putting their entrance further from RED's door, and having less space. It also brings the exit closer to Last, which is what BLU should go to anyways, not RED's spawn. The Cyan arrow is a ramp, so that the exit platform is level with the platform RED comes out on.

I also recommended changing the building by the first point. The new building I suggest changes the flank route so it leads into the chokepoint at A, rather than bypassing it. This gives RED a foothold so they won't lose A with no effort from BLU. I also recommend blocking a part of the battlement that you can access from the staircase in the gray building, so that while RED is more powerful, they aren't too powerful on the first point.

And for that building directly across from BLU spawn, the only value it served is getting players stuck behind crates, removing simplifies the map.

I hope you take this map destroying feedback into consideration, because if you do I think this map could have a pretty fun first stage.

Thanks man! This is actually some of the best feedback we've ever received, definitely doing some of this for next version.

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
PROJECT KRONOS HAS RECIEVED AN UPDATE
Removed Flankroutes causing players to stray from the objective. (Thanks @Moonrat )
Added a new sideroute leading to last (might need some minor tweeks
Added a crane for a tiny bit of detailing.
Removed health and ammo vital to major sentry nests.
Cleaned up some minor brushes at last

Happy testing!

VMF is now in the hands of @SmallBiscuit for lighting reworks and other minor features.

stage 2 is now in development...

OctoBlitz

aa
Jan 15, 2016
Before I go into what I changed in this version I would like to inform everyone that I will be working on Stage 2 this weekend over a Livestream, so be sure to check it out!

Project Kronos has recieved an update!
Removed the ability to have Engineers build in spawns
Fixed brushwork and textures
Removed a misplaced brush blocking off an offshoot to one of blu's flankroutes
moved stairs slightly near blu spawn
decreased respawn time for blu by .5

Happy testing! :medal:

FunkEdge

L3: Member
Jan 14, 2017
OH WON'T YOU PLEASE TAKE ME HOME~