Problems with spawn doors

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Uncloak and Dagger, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Uncloak and Dagger

Uncloak and Dagger L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello! I've been into mapping for 2 weeks now on and off, and once I got the basics I moved from Hl2 base to TF2 specifics. While using tutorials and checking with the prefab from the pack, the triggers seem to not making the door open. I have included a vmf to see if anyone from this lovely community could help me.

Attached Files:

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Your door logic is good, but for some reason I could only get the door to open after compiling a second time. Perhaps try compiling again and see if it works.

You also had a leak in your map (gaps to either side of the cobble brush above the door) and the trigger is not quite big enough for a standard door (I kept running into the door before it fully opened, as a scout). These aren't related to your problem, but I want to mention them so you don't make such mistakes in your actual map.

3. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Depending on where the leak is, perhaps something vital to the door is leaking and causing it to not actually be in the map on compile? I've seen it happen with props before, I suppose it could do it with other things?

4. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    I changed nothing between the first and second compile, yet the door suddenly started working. Both times it was an info_player_teamspawn that reported the leak. Could it have really affected anything differently between the two compiles?

5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  6. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    Okay so it seems I am mistaken, the problem IS the leak. I just tried compiling a newly re-downloaded vmf, once without a cordon, and once with. showtriggers did not reveal any door triggers with the leak in place, but they were there in the cordon compile. So if you patch up the leak, your door should work fine.

7. Uncloak and Dagger

Uncloak and Dagger L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, thanks for the responses. I didn't notice that leak, good eye, and cleared that up and just for now I have enclosed the whole two rooms with a hollowed brush. I also moved the spawns a little farther from the wall just in case. Oddly enough, even by copy and pasting and Ctrl+F there was no recorded leak. Sorry to post something that generally could be fixed easily, and I'll keep a better eye out for those little spots next time and see what I can do to fix those up. Thanks for your time, guys.

8. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Stupid questions dont exist in this sub forum. Dont think your problem is to small to ask for help.

9. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
  10. Q-Brick

Q-Brick L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    technically he is I think

11. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    i'm pretty sure he's saying don't be afraid to ask "stupid questions". It's not very relevant, but it didn't seem like a complaint to me

12. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    If so then i'm, so sorry

13. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    That was my point...
    Now im afraid to be helpfull and not get a backhand from veteran mappers.

- Edit: Its ok cox, I forgive you but please dont over react to a negative seeming message next time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  14. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Cox just misread. You're completely right, Dave.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, just a misunderstanding.

@Cox please don't backseat moderate. If you think there is an issue, please report it and staff can sort it out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1