Problems with payload

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by HQDefault, Sep 6, 2014.

1. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    So... recently, I've been working on a payload map. The basic geometry is done, but for some reason, the payload goes nowhere. It shows that I'm pushing it, but it stays put. What are some potential reasons for this?

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Are your path_tracks properly linked?

3. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Well, they're certainly linked, do they need to go in a circle?

4. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    You need to have an entity called team_trainwatcher(or something like that) and make sure that the flag marked "Train watcher controls movement" is checked.

5. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    There is an option of handle train movement, which is set to yes, but there is not flag that says Train watcher controls movement

6. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    You could just give us a VMF and we could find it out without just guessing at random.

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Wild guesses:

-Payload doesn't have "first stop target" set
    -Tracks are too close to the ground and the payload is stuck inside the ground
    -Speed isn't set right
    -You didn't use boojum's examples

8. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
  9. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    So.. seeing that you did in fact download it, I'm going to assume you can't figure out what the problem was... and that payload mode just hates me :(

10. VintageEpicFail

VintageEpicFail L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    From the vmf. file, I'd say that the issue is no track_56 entity

Your final path_track (track_55) has Next Stop Target set to track_56 which doesn't exist. Also, your second to last track (track_54) needs to have the outputs listed here

Try to fix those and see if it works

11. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks! :)

12. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Well, so far, all answers have helped me out by literally zero percent. :thumbdown:

13. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Opened it up and guess what! You're not!

So since I linked them to you, why haven't you been doing comparisons between yours and boojum's examples to try and find what's wrong. I'll look myself after this imp, but that's what you should have done already.

EDIT: also no one likes mediafire, find a better host and we're more likely to download stuff ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  14. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    OK so here's what I found:

I have no earthly idea why yours doesn't want to move. As far as I can see it's functionally identical to Boojum's setup except for the fact your payload model is dynamic not physics (and isn't actually tied to the tracktrain in any way) but that's irrelevant. I copied in Boojum's and renamed it to fit all your ents and it worked just fine. If you can't figure it out by comparing yours and his, I recommend you simply copy in his ents and go from there.

Beyond that:

• Your texture choice is poor, both the ground and the cliff texture are some of the ugliest in the game, used in very few circumstances. Common newbie textures. Instead of "cliff" search "rock" ;)
    • You don't (or didn't) know what a func_detail is. You should look those up
    • You don't have any doors or spawn room brushes or resupply visualisers, these are all super important for anything that gets played, so you'll want to put those in if you haven't already
    • Don't bother with overlays this early in development unless you are doing arrows. Landmarks are good, needless detail overlays are not.
    • That setup tunnel is a cool idea but it extends waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far beyond the rest of blu spawn.
    • Which, by the way, is stupendously tiny. You want to base things off "what can a single SG cover?" a LOT of the time in attack/defend. And a SG covers a radius of 1024, so a base of 768 units as you have could be easily locked down by a single sentry or dominated by two or more.
    • You have power 4 displacements, which source shouldn't really have since they're broken and will cause crashes. Don't go above power 3, if you need more verts in the same area, cut the displacement in two.
    • You've got the grid on 1. STOP THAT. STOP THAT RIGHT NOW. Put your grid on 16 and don't go lower than 16 until you are absolutely sure you want to.