Problems with custom game mode.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by The Political Gamer, Nov 17, 2010.

1. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    So a friend of a friend is making a custom game mode that is a twist on 5CP. However, it has some game breaking logic problems and I was wondering if you guys could help figure this out.

Link to .vmf and .bsp

Thread link

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. IrishTaxIDriver

IrishTaxIDriver L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    As anyone can probably determine from the SA thread I'm the first friend.

Best I can figure is that its a bug, if you let the cap timer expire on the points they'll fix themselves. I ent_dumped the control points when they were messed up and I didn't see anything unusual.

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The supplied VMF appears to have a disparity in the logic mirroring.
    • 0_blu_relay sends off three ownership outputs while 4_red_relay does not (they look like they should be mirrored?)
    • Two CPs are linked to 1_team_relay and none are linked to 3_team_relay (the other three CPs and relays are linked 1:1)
    • reset_red_score is fired from cap4's t_c_a by way of 4_red_relay as well as three timers. reset_blu_score is only fired by two timers.

Without actually digging into the logic, I can only assume some or all of this is related to the problems that are occurring.

4. IrishTaxIDriver

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I noticed a few things like that when I was looking through it last night, but the problem occurs regardless of which team wins. The problem is centered on the middle three caps only: cap_1, cap_2 and cap_3.

If there is a logic problem, it'll be in the reset relays. It currently clears the ownerships, and then sets them to their appropriate values ([B B B R R] if red capped all, [B B R R R] if blue did). I tried changing his reset relays around and mirroring the timers and it was still happening.

Theres also the issue of how any of that would affect the time to cap lapsing fixing the points.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  5. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Looking at it closer, and messing around with making the objective on my own, I guess Valve really did just break something. You mentioned a TC bug (which I hadn't heard of), and after realizing with my testing it was related to SetOwner I went and found this happening on the TC setup in my gametype library (which uses SetOwner for base-defended recaptures). Now, I messed around testing that setup so much when I made the library as I know it was complicated and had lots of places things could go wrong, and I don't remember ever encountering the "ghost capture" bug. I could have missed it since I wasn't aware of it at the time (if it did exist then), but I tested that thing so much...

One possible remedy, locking and unlocking the point after it begins to fake capture corrects the problem. So you could set up some relays that rapidly lock/unlock the point if the "wrong" team starts a cap. Lock/unlock won't work if done beforehand, though. So don't bother trying that one.

6. IrishTaxIDriver

Positive Ratings:
    The TC bug I mentioned is the Hydro uncapped point at the start of a round one. As far as I know its still unfixed and Valve has no idea how or why it happens. If its a bug in SetOwner it might explain it, and I'd have to guess its fairly new.

So you did encounter this ghost capture thing in your TC stuff?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  7. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Well I'm not familiar with that one, but seems different. So that reinforces my thoughts that this SetOwner thing is some new bug that has been introduced. It also seems it happens no matter what when using SetOwner, even if there isn't a round change or a game_forcerespawn.

8. IrishTaxIDriver

Positive Ratings:
    Well, he did email Robin so with any luck they'll find it and have it fixed.

9. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Why are your triggers pink.

10. IrishTaxIDriver

Positive Ratings:
    Its the INVISIBLE texture and it really doesn't matter what the texture is set to. Its usually set to a translucent texture so you can see through it.

11. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Though, the reason trigger is usually used is because the showtriggers_toggle command will cause any materials with %compiletrigger in the VMT to be rendered.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    /me learned something today

13. IrishTaxIDriver

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I didn't know about that command. Cool!

14. IrishTaxIDriver

Positive Ratings:
    Response from Valve!

:eek:hmy:

15. IrishTaxIDriver

Positive Ratings:
    Triple post, but: