Problem with overlays

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by UltraPowered, Jul 29, 2014.

1. UltraPowered

UltraPowered L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I'm having troubles with placing overlays, specifically the patches that are under ammo and health kits. When I place them in hammer, they look completely fine. However, when I compile the map and load it in-game, they don't appear at all. It's been bugging me all day, and any help is appreciated.

In-Hammer: http://i.imgur.com/jKjkSev.png

In-Game: http://i.imgur.com/nvp4euN.png

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    In the overlay's settings there's a brush faces bit, make sure the ground brush is actually selected there, use the eyedropper and it should be red when selected

3. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    set r_renderoverlayfragment 1 while mapping.
    keep it on if your GPU doesn't have the worst fillrate in the world.

4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Or just get used to overlays breaking. The cutting tools are really stupid when it comes to overlays.

The player tags people place at runtime have the same problem, only that you can't manually override the face list.

5. UltraPowered

Positive Ratings:
    Already have done this, still doesn't work.

r_renderoverlayfragments is already set to 1, and it doesn't work.

6. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    your map doesn't have any alt+p problems or compile log errors, does it?

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
  8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    If I recall overlays don't work if you apply it to a brush that's too large. I assume the floor you applied it on spreads across the entire level or something, so that would explain why it's not working in-game (I think the compile log tells you this). You will need to use the clipping tool to turn the huge brush into smaller ones (or just make new brushes manually), then apply the overlay.

If you use the clipping tool, make sure you update the brush faces in the overlay's properties or it still won't work. You can use the eyedropper and select the new faces you want the overlay to be on, holding CTRL to select multiple faces if you need to. You don't have to do this if you delete the overlay and place another one on the new brushes, though.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  9. UltraPowered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, this fixed my problem :D

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    More accurately, a brush that touches too many other brushes, which is also frequently the case when you make the ground of your whole map a single brush. It should actually produce an error during compiling, in fact.

11. Cookie^

Cookie^ L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try applying it with the Decal Tool instead of the Overlay Tool.