problem with may layouts

Doktor

L1: Registered
Jan 9, 2010
Hello people,

I am having huge problems to come up with a good layout for a map. I get a lot of good ideas on what I should map but in the end it is not worth it because my layout will look boring, uninteresting and barely playable.

So I am asking you, how do you come up with good map layouts? are there any things I have to consider? any tips?

I currently want to make a 5cp map. it would be really helpful to hear some advice.

thank you.

edit: oops I wrote "may" instead of "map

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Well, play lots. Think about how you think your least favourite point could be made good, or your favourite point made better.

Keep trying. Your layouts may seem no fun now, but sooner or later, the idea that you've been waiting for will come.

As a general idea for getting layouts i consider real-life scenarios. Thinking of the sterotypical layout of, say, a control room. Where would the point go in that. Then, where would the entrances from spawn be? Does that work in-game? No? do it again. Yes? Excellent, think where the entrance would be for the enemy, and a few good sentry positions.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Start with something simple. Koth, Arena, CTF (maybe). 5CP is pretty tough so i wouldn't recommend it just yet.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Read through the VDC wiki's article on TF2 Level creation. It helped me when I was starting out. Also, like what Swordfish said, play the game a ton, I'd play a combo of custom maps (not surf or Mario) and Valve stock maps. Remember though, neither of those are perfect, just keep that in mind.

Look at other peoples maps, a lot of the custom maps on here have overview shots, which show what the map looks like from the top down, this can give you a good visual on what is best to do for you map. You'll notice for 5CP that there is usually 1 Major and 2 minor (or 1 minor and 2 major?) entrances to a point area.

This is just the tip of the TF2 mapping iceburg, but just think through, draw out if you have, your layouts, and you'll get something good.

**if your looking for custom maps, play with us on some of the gamedays (usually Sunday, Weds, Friday).

Doktor

L1: Registered
Jan 9, 2010
I definately have to do that. I got over 1000hours in the sdk and never finished a real map because of that layout issue.

But thank you for your advice and I will try to join sometimes on the gamedays!

Apr 13, 2009
Learn the scale. It doesn't make your layouts good but getting it wrong automatically makes your layout terribad...