Problem with map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Egghead 37, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Egghead 37

Egghead 37 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I tried to launch my map, and whenever I do that I crash to the main menu because the console says "host_endgame: map coordinate extents are too large!! Check for errors." I have checked for errors through the Check for Problems window and have fixed every problem. I compiled my map again and launched TF2. The problem still persists. What do?

2. PossessedInkieShark

PossessedInkieShark L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you zoom out on hammer far enough, you will see that the grid ends.
    That is basically the extent of what the engine can handle iirc, so you have no make sure no geometry goes beyond that point
    Unless your map is meant to be a scale model of France, this really shouldn't happen anyway
    At least I think that is what the problem is

3. BenCo

BenCo L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    You have something past the world extents, basically off the big world grid in hammer.

4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    This will also happen when you get near the border of the Hammer grid. It should warn you about your map's size in the compile log.

5. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    There's nothing on the borders nor outside of the borders. My map is at the center of the grid too.

6. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe there are some moving doors that are set to be moving outside of grid, or something else coordinates of which are set by numbers (semi-)manually

7. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    There are only two doors in my map (currently), and they are not out of the grid.

8. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    omg pls, help me ;-;

9. BenCo

BenCo L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Can you link the .vmf file of your map? Then we can check it to see what is your problem exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    OK

Attached Files:

11. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    About the open hallways, I always block them when I want to compile

12. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    Oh and it's for a custom gamemode

13. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    Come on, still no help?

14. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    There are two brushes causing your issue. Brush numbers 11650 and 11681. Find them by going to View > Go to brush number. Hammer hates brushes that are less than one hammer unit in any diameter, so you'll need to make them at least 1 hu thick (they are 0.5 right now)

Edit: in the future, you can always try reading your compile log if something isn't working as intended. That's how i found out your issue

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  15. Erk

Server Staff Erk erk

Positive Ratings:
    Screenshot 2016-09-29 17.45.44.png

Is this what's causing the problem? I'm fairly certain that this red line meant that you're not allowed to go out that far.
    Also the map is leaked.
    Screenshot 2016-09-29 17.47.58.png
    There's a hole here out to the void.

Screenshot 2016-09-29 17.49.42.png
    Also, I assume you want this to be water? It's not set to func_water_analog however, it doesn't fit the container completely, and you don't have a water_lod_control anywhere. Without all this it makes the water sad.

16. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    You have radius culling on in that screenshot. It's advised that you keep that off because it tends to lag Hammer and is basically an inferior version of the cordon tool. It doesn't dictate the space you can build in at all.
    Static water is not supposed to be func_water_analog; it should be a world brush. The compiler generates a water_lod_control for you if you don't have one. @Egghead 37 Here's a guide for making proper water: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Adding_Water

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, the water isn't well done, ik. Might as well just delete it

18. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    Brushes like those tend to be created when you create an invalid solid brush, and then either clip it, or by clicking "Fix" when "Check for problems" gives you an "Invalid solid structure" error. Try to not create invalid solids, and if you did, fix them manually. Fixing them automatically literally never will do what you want it to do.

19. Egghead 37

Positive Ratings:
    Also by the way the red circle moves when you move. So I would guess that's not some sort of limit

20. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    So, let's see. I tried to compile your map.

Well, this is the obvious one. You have a leak. I guess you know.

You're not allowed to put nodraw textures on displacements. You also should really only mark the sides of the brush you want to turn into displacements before creating entities. Select the nodraw displacement faces and destroy them over the displacement menu.

You have more than 2 displacments that share two edges. Basically, there are two displacements on top of each other. This may cause lighting errors, but shouldn't be the cause for your problem.

The model you're using here can't be a prop_static, it has to be a prop_dynamic.
    I'd also advise against using HL2 props for TF, because they don't fit the art style.