Problem with lighting [RESOLVED]

ThatOneOwl

L1: Registered
Apr 10, 2017
So I've decided to get a hold on some advanced map-making tools and methods, and started with replacing the dull light entites with cool kids "light_spot". But for some reason they refuse to work. (maybe that's because I'm not too cool for them, but who knows...)

I've tried tweaking the amount of light and the fading angle, but nothing seems to work. Only the props around are getting lit, but the whole room stays dark. I've checked my compile log for errors, and there seems to be none.

After vrowsing through Valve's maps I've notcied that they use point_spotlight as well, but I think that the "spotlight" itself is used as a cosmetic feature, just to imitate the working lightbulb and doesn't relate to the problem what so ever (actually, "point_spotlight" don't work as well, only the basic "lights" do)

20170501184542_1.jpg
20170501184556_1.jpg

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Are the origins of the light_spot entities buried inside the props? If so, you'll have to move them down a few units so their light isn't blocked by the model.

Also, you're right about point_spotlight - it's just a sprite effect that doesn't emit any light, and it's not required for a light to work.

ThatOneOwl

Apr 10, 2017
Are the origins of the light_spot entities buried inside the props? If so, you'll have to move them down a few units so their light isn't blocked by the model.

Also, you're right about point_spotlight - it's just a sprite effect that doesn't emit any light, and it's not required for a light to work.

Nope, moved the entites completely away from the lamp props, but the light still doesn't work.
light_spot.JPG

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Mind that by default, the light for props is calculated relative to their collision model, not the prop itself, so your light entity might be in the lamps' collision model and not work.

ThatOneOwl

Apr 10, 2017
Hey, so apparently the HDR brightness did a thing. So I guess I'll have to play with that to get the best out of the lights in the respawn room.

So I can say that the problem is resolved. Sorry that I had to bother anyone, and thank you for helping me.

20170501193605_1.jpg

obodobear

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 15, 2016
Hmm, I've never really seen anything like this happen before. What types of brushes is the room made out of? Maybe that has something to do with it?

obodobear

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 15, 2016
Oh wait you got it figured out nvm