Problem with hat models

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
I want to use hat models in my map, but I'm not sure how to do it..

I put them in as prop_static and this clearly isn't the right way, because they didn't show up.

the first time I ran my map I got a huge amount of spam telling me that they couldn't load as prop_static, or something, but when I just ran it again, I didn't get any errors, but they still didn't load..

any advice?

should they be dynamic? I want to know before I redo all of the models.

thanks

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
They need to be prop_dynamic

Also, they are offset from the origin by about 96HU up. Since they share an origin with the character model they are part of.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
They need to be prop_dynamic

Also, they are offset from the origin by about 96HU up. Since they share an origin with the character model they are part of.

yeah, I noticed that the box for the model was alot taller than the hat itself.

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
Nik, for future referance, you can check what type of prop can be used for a particular model by selecting the second tab from the right in the model viewer. It'll list static, dynamic, and physics with checkboxes next to them. If the box is checked, that model can be used with that type of entity.

It's not 100%, some dynamic props can be made into prop-physics for example, but it is a solid guideline when placing props that you are not 100% on what they can or cannot be used for.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Last time I tried to do something like that, I found that Prop_dynamic_override worked. (Putting an Engineer's build PDA on a desk.)

Not sure if that's the best-practice way or not.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
Nik, for future referance, you can check what type of prop can be used for a particular model by selecting the second tab from the right in the model viewer. It'll list static, dynamic, and physics with checkboxes next to them. If the box is checked, that model can be used with that type of entity.

It's not 100%, some dynamic props can be made into prop-physics for example, but it is a solid guideline when placing props that you are not 100% on what they can or cannot be used for.

thanks alot, prop_dynamic worked though. I'll use for future reference.

Last time I tried to do something like that, I found that Prop_dynamic_override worked. (Putting an Engineer's build PDA on a desk.)

Not sure if that's the best-practice way or not.

prop_dynamic worked fine, I really have no idea what the other ones are for..