Problem with decompiled Valve Maps

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
:ig: This is the magic button.

The Ignore Groups button is gross and bad, it mucks up the selection of brush entities.

Use these buttons instead.

7dfad359ff.png

Solids is what you'll need to use, probably.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
The Ignore Groups button is gross and bad, it mucks up the selection of brush entities.

Use these buttons instead.

7dfad359ff.png

Solids is what you'll need to use, probably.

is there a keyboard shortcut to cycle thru those

ctrl w seems to toggle ignore groups so basically groups <--> solids but i desire selecting objects too

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
...what?

"Groups" will select Hammer groups made out of whatever pieces you group together.
"Objects" will pass through Hammer groups and select entities made out of multiple pieces or individual things not tied to an entity.
"Solids" and "ignore groups" are exactly the same function. If you press one button the other is also changed. Both of them see through everything and select only individual pieces.

The problem here is the decompiler is programmed to place every detail brush into a single func_detail entity (rather than one entity per brush), necessitating the use of IG.
(the decompiler only has those two options, because func_detail is a hammer-only entity that is thrown out when you compile, so there is no way to combine them into logical clumps like the author would have done)

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
Using IG: Hey, I've placed a door prefab from A Boojum Snark's Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack, but I want to change something in the trigger, let me just use the IG button to select it and then I'll open it's properties... Oh wait that doesn't work.

Solids does the same thing, but it's a good habit to get into to just use the Groups, Objects and Solids buttons over the IG button because it has that Objects option which doesn't mess up brush entities like that.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
But... that's not a problem with IG, nor does it have anything to do with IG being worse/different from solids. It is doing what it made to. Yeah, objects mode provides another kind of functionality that is useful but that's irrelevant.

The point here is IG/solids is explicitly what was needed to solve the problem. Brush entity selection needed to be "mucked up", so it is disingenuous to say IG is bad and not to use it.