Problem making it very frustrating to work...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Primesghost, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Primesghost

Primesghost Guest

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I'm having a serious problem. It makes it almost impossible to work on a map. Here's the deal:

I open the Hammer Editor and create a new map. Create a basic room or whatever I'm working on at the time. Everything goes fine until I try to tie a brush to an entity. If I want to make a door I create a func_dynamic with the door model. Then I draw out a brush and right-click it and selct "Tie to Entity". Click the drop-down box under Class and select func_door. Hammer crashes.

This happens any time I try to create a brush-based entity. The only woraround that I've found is to save my map right before I do it. Once it crashes I reload hammer and try again. Eventually it will work...until I need to make another one, then I repeat the process.

This is becoming incredibly frustrating and I can't seem to find any help on the subject. I picked up the Source SDK this weekend (Build 4036) along with Garry's Mod because I enjoy creating custom content. Right now I really can't do much mapping because I have to repeat this process every few minutes.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem is?

2. DrHaphazard

DrHaphazard L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm afraid I have no real help for you, but I was wondering if its possible to contact valve about stuff like this? Seems like there should be someone you can email about techincal problems like this.

3. Primesghost

Primesghost Guest

Positive Ratings:
    I will try to contact Valve but first I'm going to try to do a clean install. I really should have done that before even posting here. I have completely removed Steam along with every Steam game that I own. Now I am in the process of redownloading them one at a time, I'll let you know whether that fixes it or not. If not, I'll be contacting Steam.

4. trackhed

trackhed L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    i would say a clean backup or format of your drive is more in order than a reinstall of steam, most likely.

5. Primesghost

Primesghost Guest

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, that's a pretty drastic suggestion for a computer that's only having issues with one piece of software. Especially since I just installed Windows on this machine last week. No, I think that if everything else runs fine and only one piece of software gives me a problem, then it's probably that software and not the computer. I'll hold off on a reinstall of Windows for now.

Also, you really shouldn't jump to the Reinstall Windows Panic Button as an answer for every problem that a computer has. Most problems can be solved with a bit of troubleshooting and if you don't figure out what caused the problem in the first place then it's very likely that you'll have it again eventually.

6. Primesghost

Primesghost Guest

Positive Ratings:
    Update: A clean install of Steam and all Steam apps seems to have fixed the problem. Not sure what caused it but it's gone now. This thread can be closed.