Probed

KotH Probed RC2

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah it's getting a bit lengthy, I don't blame you.

Strange mood is referring specifically to me obsessing over one gimmick or idea I have for a map and having to complete it before I can return to my regularly scheduled quasi-sanity.

Teddy Schnapps

L2: Junior Member
Feb 5, 2014
Here's your feedback!

Well, Crash, after an hour or two I managed to put together a detailed compilation/feedback of issues and suggestions on your newest version of koth_probed_4b.

So... yeah, here you go.

Document (Word):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9i47jonem0uy2w/Just%20some%20suggestions%20from%20todays%20map%20play%20test.docx?dl=0

Advice-Duck-Memes-Everywhere-.png

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Yeeaah, my clipping isn't quite up to par with how I normally would clip a map, but the speed I've been working on it is sort of to blame for that. I'll try to smooth out some of the more annoying issues.

Thanks for the feedback though, I'll probably implement a lot of it!

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
OP updated with B5 release

Changelog:
Beta 5
11-17-2014
Added new route from lower area behind capture point to upper area above it
Okay finale is definitely insane now
Removed tractor beam pulls from inside the silo at mid
Lowered middle structure on ship and minimalized extra brushwork
Got rid of a bunch of in-the-way details on ship
Added clipping boxes that catch you as you teleport onto ship, killing off momentum
Cleaned up a few routes
Did I mention particles yet? Because Particles
Did a lot more clipping
Started optimizing lightmaps
Adjusted lighting

Screenshots are out of date for now, I'll update them tomorrow.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Map updated for the last time for the contest

Changelog:
Beta 6
11-17-2014
Fixed the health pack in the center of the ship occasionally getting blocked by func_door moving the parts above it
Fixed missing point_spotlight on middle

Downloads in OP

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Oh shit I forgot to mention, you have a small bug:

ADAC5D2C18F9C72A8308B45D79744A6EE700A377

I think there was something else, but I forget what it was, or it was small and not really noticeable. If I remember I will update this post.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I have no idea why that would do that. It's not even a single face, it's part of two!
2014-11-17_19-14-48.jpg

Fun fact: It was almost all black before and I tried to fix it by recreating them both. I forgot to check if it fixed it. I guess it turned into that. Black would have been better. :/

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
The only time I have ever encountered this was when I had 2 brushes both the exact same dimensions inside each other. (an accidental copy+paste special) What it did was favor the brush with the nodraw surface over the one with the actual texture on it.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Just to answer a bit of feedback left on the map:

2014-11-19_16-12-23.png

This is fully intended.

2014-11-19_16-13-42.png

The former is also intended. The uber is basically only there to give you a chance to orient yourself after teleporting without getting destroyed right away, with the crits/ overheal being the actual buff you're utilizing. As for the overlay, I'm not entirely sure about that. I'm applying the condition 5/ TF_COND_INVULNERABLE so I assumed it was the basic uber condition. I'll have to look into that part.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Isn't there a way of giving massive overheal that dissipates quickly instead of the (potentially?) confusing uber+kritz combo? They used uber and kritz for Lakeside_event, but then when you get the rare spells in Helltower you come out with a large overheal that seems to disappear quickly.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Update!

Downloads in OP along with new screenshots!

Beta 7
Remade mid-field structures to be a lot more interesting and direct combat flow differently
Removed large ramp going into the building behind the capture zone and replaced it with a drop down, this should help direct combat more towards the center and reduce players upstairs at the start of the match
Reduced alien's health to 5hp, they should now all explode in one hit
You can now hide from the UFO tractor beam by standing under the roof, this no longer sucks you into the ceiling
Refined the cuts on the tractor beam triggers to avoid any interior areas
Added speed boost/ infinite air jumps condition to players inside ship
Adjusted some of the health and ammo
Blocked all exploitable openings on spawn buildings
Adjusted some material usage/ detailing
Tweaked lighting/ prop lighting