[PREFAB] rocket spawner

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by martijntje, Feb 21, 2010.

1. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    ever wanted some serious rocketspam, an awesome final explosion, play pyro tennis or just want to make a training map for your airblast skills, now we have the superawesome rocketspawner
    [​IMG]
    now, how do you use this magnificent thing. You simply download the thing at the bottom and place the vmf in the prefabs folder, now you can place the prefab anywhere in you map as many times as you like. to launch the rocket, simply send a trigger output to fire_rocket_somenumber where somenumber refers to the number of the rocketspawner. the rocket will fire and oblitarate your enemies. by default there is a small difference in the direction the rockets, so they dont all line up but instead spread a little making them more awesome

how did I do that?
    -spawn a tf_projectile_rocket, however this does not have speed, nor a team, so it hangs in the air and doesnt hurt anybody.
    -Create trigger_push wich pushes pushebles, wich a rocket happens to be, at the speed of a rocket
    -create a trigger_hurt and parent it to the rocket
    -kill, kill, explode

useful stuff
    -you can airblast them
    -hurts both teams, even after airblasting
    -travels at normal rocket launcher speed
    -no splash damage
    -to change the direction of fire, rotate the angles of the trigger_push and env_entity_maker
    -no damage falloff

you can change the type of projectile by changing the entity name of the rocket
    tf_projectile_arrow : huntsman arrows, does not penetrate players and can cause serious lag, if you spawn a lot of them at the same time
    tf_projectile_flare: flares from pyros flaregun, does not ignite the player, change the damage type of the trigger_hurt to ignite to fix this. Also you somehow cannot airblast them
    tf_projectile_sentryrocket: 4 bundled rockets as shot from a sentry, works just like the normal rocket, just a lot cooler
    tf_projectile_syringe: medics syringes, works, hover they are very hard to see, so I would not recommend using them

however there are also projectile that dont work and crash tf2 as soon as they spawn. these are
    tf_projectile_jar
    tf_projectile_pipe
    tf_projectile_pipe_remote
    tf_projectile_stun_ball

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 6
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    I might have to use this, I was thinking of making a pyro jump map a while back, now I can give it a go!
    EDIT: reading more about this, it doesn't seem possible to do that... can you think of anyway I can?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  3. OlafK

OlafK L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Can this thing be modified to shoot sticky bombs and detonate them?

4. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    remove trigger_hurt, I'm quit sure that will do the trick, I'll go test it
    edit: doesnt work

that would be a completely different beast, and certainly possible. what kind of use do you have for it?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. OlafK

OlafK L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I just planned some other kind of "volleyball" match, with stickies that would detonate upon landing on ground, thus killing players and team after some time if they don't succeed in airblasting the sticky :)

6. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could make a base that needs blowing up and you could capture the control point to fire the tank nto destroy the base yay :)

7. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    mini-update
    you can change the type of projectile by changing the entity name of the rocket
    tf_projectile_arrow : huntsman arrows, does not penetrate players and can cause serious lag, if you spawn a lot of them at the same time
    tf_projectile_flare: flares from pyros flaregun, does not ignite the player, change the damage type of the trigger_hurt to ignite to fix this. Also you somehow cannot airblast them
    tf_projectile_sentryrocket: 4 bundled rockets as shot from a sentry, works just like the normal rocket, just a lot cooler
    tf_projectile_syringe: medics syringes, works, hover they are very hard to see, so I would not recommend using them

however there are also projectile that dont work and crash tf2 as soon as they spawn. these are
    tf_projectile_jar
    tf_projectile_pipe
    tf_projectile_pipe_remote
    tf_projectile_stun_ball

8. MechaBowser

MechaBowser L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    sorry to be a complete newbie on this but where do I place tf2 prefabs?

9. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\[steam user name]\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\prefabs

10. MechaBowser

Positive Ratings:
    thank you :p

I had it in sourcesdk\bin\prefabs XD

11. MechaBowser

Positive Ratings:
    Terrible sorry to ask a question again but how did I activate it specifically? There is no fire_rocket_* entity and I'm not sure how to "add an output" as that could mean any output :x

12. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    the 'fire_rocket_*' entity is a wildcard which basically means it fires 'fire_rocket_1' and 'fire_rocket_2' and so on ad infinitum for all numbers after the 'fire_rocket_'. The AddOutput is a rather useful command that allows you to change the actual properties of entities. But I haven't downloaded this prefab so I have no idea what you want. I am also sure that there are probably better explanations (most likely from Boojam).

13. MechaBowser

Positive Ratings:
    I know * is a wildcard, but there is literally no fire_rocket_* entities when spawning the prefab. There's rocket_* and 4 other entities but I don't know which to use.

14. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    It's a safe bet that something similar to this will be appearing in Scout Bros.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. wyn10

wyn10 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I am also lost at this point.

Can someone post a template with this in it?

16. Barrelroll

Barrelroll L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i was wondering if you could possibly post a tutorial on making a db map

17. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    @Guy above me

Go to http://voogru.com/ and ask about it, they're the guys who run the big dodgeball servers. To make maps for that you need a special .fgd. Voogru hardcoded in some special entities to do the homing rockets and stuff.

Unless you're talking about some different one, in which case, I have no clue.

18. Xi.Cynx

aa Xi.Cynx Former Alias: †Blade†

Positive Ratings:
    Do you just need this fgd in hammer when it's compiled for everything to work or do you have to have something special running on the server to control anything?

ex: Say I make a map with the default fgd, I compile it, then if I make the same map but change some of the values in the fgd will the rockets in the map make spawn at different rates and do more damage saying if those were the values i changed?

19. xfile202

xfile202 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It won't let me download it! When I click download, it just shows the tf2 icon and does nothing else! >:eek:

20. Domi

Domi L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm so sorry to bump this old thread :blushing:...

Is this prefab still working, or is there a way spawn a rocket like in dodgeball? I want to make a trap, which fire rockets. Is this possible? I didn't found something useful about this on google...

And i tried this prefab, but it seems it doesn't work, no rockets are spawning.
    Im a newby with hammer, maybe im just blind...

I would be grateful about any help :)

Edit:

Just saw the next thread...

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=20285 This seems work for now.

Sorry :S

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012