Sep 7, 2012
Practical Tools Materials

released May 2, 2013

Modified by nightwatch

Contents:

6 material files (.vmt)
1 sample map file (.bsp)

I ADDED SOME LINES TO MAKE THEM SOUND LIKE REAL THINGS WHEN YOU STEP ON THEM

These materials are modified versions of the blockbullets and playerclip materials by Valve. They use the same textures as the ones by Valve.
Their purpose is to better represent the sounds of the objects they are covering to increase the level of player immersion in-game.

Installation: Due to the SteamPipe update on April 30, 2013, no installation instructions are included at this time. Following the release of vpk-enabled development tools by Valve, this file may be modified for your ease of use.

DISCLAIMER: No effort was required to produce these files. Emulate and copy at your own will. Due to the nature of sounds in Source, these files may or may not be useful in varying circumstances and conditions.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Are you absolutely positive these work properly? Back during the artpass contest I tried making sound-specific playerclip materials and what I found happening was that playerclip (as a whole, because it is a special BSP function more than a material) could only have one surface property and trying to use more than one of these in the map resulted in the same surface for all instances of playerclip. (I can't check myself because I haven't finished converting TF2 yet)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Huh. Until recently I assumed playerclip just imitates the sounds of the surface it's directly above. It was only a couple days ago that I noticed it didn't, and wondered why I had ever thought that.

Sep 7, 2012
Are you absolutely positive these work properly? Back during the artpass contest I tried making sound-specific playerclip materials and what I found happening was that playerclip (as a whole, because it is a special BSP function more than a material) could only have one surface property and trying to use more than one of these in the map resulted in the same surface for all instances of playerclip. (I can't check myself because I haven't finished converting TF2 yet)

No, I think you're 100% correct. I was running into some issues when I was testing the playerclips but I disregarded them because I assumed the materials needed to be reloaded - something similar had happened when I tested out the blockbullets without restarting tf2. When I get home from work I'll check again and delete them again and write a little blurb about it or delete them entirely if that's the case. On the other hand, the blockbullets work great, which is another point in their favour for using them to clip stairs and such.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
just make func_brushes of the appropriate material and set them to "do not render"...

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
func_brush won't play nice with stickies. I guess blockbullets would work, if it does work. The route I went was making special invisible materials to use on displacements in place of clips.