power supply

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by trackhed, Mar 12, 2008.

1. trackhed

trackhed L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    burnt out, be back in week or so :thumbup:

2. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Ouch... That sucks man. Why is it all of a sudden it seems I am hearing a lot about power supply problems. I just had to replace the fans in one of mine, a friends at work melted down, and now a third person.

3. trackhed

trackhed L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    room mate generously supplied a replacement for me :lol:

well as a matter of fact the fan went out while i was away and thats the reason it burnt out :p

4. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    Mine luckily started making some pretty loud clicking noises that were to annoying to ignore.

When it first started I could smack the side of my case and it would go away, but then eventually it got to the point where even the smack did not work.

So I pulled it out, made sure it was drained of power, snipped / stripped / soldered on two new fans, slapped it back together and we are back in buisiness

5. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    ryodoan is playing engineer in real life too :p

For my last 2 PCs (desktop and server) I paid extra attention to casing and power supply. So I hope paying some euros extra on those 2 components is better for the lifespan.
    Although indeed, if a fan dies...

6. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    The powersupply that almost died is a little over 4 years old now and came in an eMachine computer (if you dont know eMachine is pretty a much bottom of the barrel computer).

However after surgery its still working and is now my file server / web server / Steam Chat logger.

My main computer uses some 500W PSU that was $10 after rebate.