Potential training mode project

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dr. Spud, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    So after reading that thread Icarus started, the first thing that came to mind was, "Cool, everyone wants to work on training mode to get it finished fast." The second thought was, "Oh god all the training maps will be completely inconsistent."

So I thought up an idea that would make training mode really cool. I emailed Robin about it (because it's the hip thing to do nowadays):
    Is anyone else interested in making this happen? Assuming Robin doesn't respond saying it's terrible, we could make a whole project out of it, and have a few older members oversee it to get all 8 other classes up to the same level of quality. Then we send the pack to Valve, and profit! Plus the end result is a training mode that isn't like I said in the email, a patchwork.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Seems Valve is a little lazy at fully completing things, why do you think they only did one training session for the Soldier?

-snip- keep retarded mac vs. pc stuffs at SPUF

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
  3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
  4. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    So basically, the weapon switching/hitting targets training is repeated for each class, but after that it checks which class you are and opens certain doors of the warehouse that lead to e.g. a dedicated rocketjumping room?

5. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Meh, if this was well organised, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Unfortunately, training maps don't appeal to me at all, so I won't create any. I'd be more than happy to provide feedback to other authors' tr_ maps though.

6. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
    We could do that, or make the initial target training shorter if a class needs a special room. I guess it depends on what makes the most sense when we play.

Also I'd imagine the training logic isn't smart enough to train all classes without a map switch, so we could have a different layout for the target training with different classes. The nice thing is switching to a map that uses all the same assets would be super-quick.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  7. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    So it would be tr_walkway for noobs?

8. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Pyro training is impossible cause stupid source can't detect flame damage on breakables.

So you gotta use bots.

9. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Admins should work their magic and get an official training campaign competition, now that Polycount has a modeling contest!

10. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd join in for little entity work and mapping :)

11. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    pyro training is possible, you just might not be able to tell if the pyro actually fires the flamethrower. You can detect when the player switches to a certain weapon in the training mode, so you could have it detect when you switch to flamethrower, then wait a second. It's pretty much impossible to miss with the flamethrower anyway, so new players would only need to know when to switch

also, it may be possible to use witchcraft to detect pyro flame. If i understand source correctly, everything has to be an entity of some sort. That would mean that flame particles would be an entity, and you would be able to detect them with a trigger and a filter

EDIT: i would love to help with this, if help is needed

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  12. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also, in a side note, never use commas in a training message. All the text after the comma is cut off.

13. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    @penguin have you actually tried that recently?

the new filters added can detect primary/secondary/melee fire so I wouldn't be so sure that you can't detect flame damage now without testing it out.

14. Jakkarra

Jakkarra L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could hack a bot so it has the Training target skin i guess, if that's possible.

Also: This would be something fun to help with, i can see a couple problems with certain classes, though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  15. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    I'd love to do something for the Spy training missions, this could be a really fun project imo

16. Jakkarra

Jakkarra L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I bet the Spy would have a great deal of freedom for it's training.

I'm also currently planning a set of training rooms for him :p.

17. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I was going to make a training map for all classes that acted like a triathlon of racing, shooting, and other skills. Depending on the class you pick, areas will be blocked off, so for the soldier and demoman you'd have to rocket and sticky jump to advance. There's already particle effects for crossing a finish line that Valve hasn't used.

18. Dr. Spud

Positive Ratings:
    Here's what everyone working on training maps can do:

Make your separate training area for a class. Keep it a reasonably small size (remember that soldier training isn't an exhaustive process that goes over every possible thing). And try and keep the theme close to the original tr_target (since it's supposed to be in the same facility). Once you make it, I can organize getting it plugged in to the hub warehouse. And I'll try and a person or two to review the maps with me and get them to an equal level of quality.

Also, I thought about it some and I think these are the only classes that should have a new room:
    -Pyro
    -Scout
    -Medic
    -Engineer
    -Spy

Demo, Heavy, and Sniper can all use modified versions of the main warehouse room.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  19. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Demoman would need a lot of changes though. He has indirect attacks, delayed attacks, and only projectile weapons. He can't really train in the same way as the other classes without a lot of changes. The scout, however, doesn't have much to be taught other than movement tactics, and Valve hasn't indicated interest in teaching those.

20. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Demo needs a specific room just for sticky jumping already.