Overlay posters pack(s)

Discussion in 'Models & Textures' started by Ezekel, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, lol. We can never have too many posters :p Fantastic work m8.
    Edit 1: I just looked through these ingame, and I was totally blown away. Like words can not express the sheer amount of awesomeness, lol. I especially like the TF2M alpine ones :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. Ezekel

Positive Ratings:
    thanks. the tf2m ones are the ones i'll be using in my payload map :)
    it's fun to make these, though not as much fun as making a map itself.
    so i do them when i want a break from mapping

side note: anyone have any idea why they look odd when previewing them in the texture selection menu? did i mess up on something here?

4. laghlagh

laghlagh L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Cool that you're taking the initiative to make posters! However, those posters are basically ingame screens with an artistic filter applied to it. They don't really fit into the art style of TF2.

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Sadly this is true, I'd take the original image and put it on a layer above the filtered layer and set the opacity somewhere around 40 so that the filter is less strong then on a new layer take the brush and add some brush strokes. I know thats hard if you don't have a tablet, but it will be worth the effort :thumbup1:

6. Ezekel

Positive Ratings:
    i do lack a tablet to be honest.
    and yes it's all ingame shots that i've applied an ink-drawing effect too.
    i thought it fit tf2 like this only because this is how ads/comics from the earlier part of last century tended to look (and i think that tf2 is set in that sorta period)

i'll look into using the technique you suggested youme once i finish with the lumbermill and reservoir maps. (that and the fact i can't remember where i put the WIP files on my HDD for 1/2 of them)

sorry they're not up to scratch. in their current incarnation.

7. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the alpine ones, looks very cartoony. But the other ones looks like a little bit over-inked

8. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you want a good example of commercial artwork from the early/mid 1900's then I'd go take a look at the artwork of Norman Rockwell. He's actually one of the artists who inspired the look of TF2 as referenced in this fantastic article over at CGSociety.org. J.C. Leyendecker and Dean Cornwell are two other artists of the period that are also mentioned who provided inspiration for TF2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1