Possible to use larger tracks and models for payload?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Hyce777, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Hyce777

Hyce777 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, being both a train enthusiast and liking TF2...

I want to use the bigger, more realistic locomotive/ train models for payload, that run on bigger tracks. Is it possible to use them?

Or, maybe re-scale the bigger engines to fit on the regular payload tracks?

Inspiration was this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqG-eyYFid0

2. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, and it's really easy actually. You could replace the regular cart model with anything if you really wanted to.

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Might look odd though, ingame, i warn you. The payload takes very sudden turns using the standard tracks. Having such a long and large 'payload cart' would result in the whole thing swinging around unrealisticly on corners.

I remember someone else pulling this off, but the track had to pretty much be straight the entire way. Which obviously posed a lot of optimisation and class balance issues.

4. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't Lil' Chew Chew have that problem of swinging around wildly?

5. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Lil' Chew Chew JUST looks alright.
    Most people don't care, but me, taking a design look at things picks up on it.

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Chew chew's problem comes from the fact it's centre of rotation is a long way from it's front, so the front end swings about wildly.

If however you're using shallower curves and/or a stubbier cart, you'll not encounter that problem.

7. Hyce777

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I wasn't going to use the DD40X, I was planning on using the smaller switcher engine that is little and stubby.

What I wanted to know is would I have to resize the cart capture points, or not?

8. ParanoidDrone

ParanoidDrone L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I thought Lil' Chew Chew was split into two parts? IDK, I haven't played Frontier in a while.

9. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    This is not true

10. Hyce777

Positive Ratings:
    Well I've found the model I'm using uses the large set of tracks, those found on 2Fort.

There aren't any curve or switch models... Anyone know where I could find some?