Possible to convert brushes into models?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Armadillo of Doom, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Edit 1: Ok, my attempt to make them into models was pretty awful. So now I have this, lol;http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread...1738#post31738

After searching various tutorials (including our massive selection), I have been unable to find any info. I'm getting the compile error 'max_map_planes'. I know which detail brushes are causing this problem, but can't figure out if there's a way to keep them. I seem to recall somewhere that it's possible to convert a set of brushes into a prop/model using XSI, but can't find any good info on it. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Brandished

Brandished L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's this from the VDC. There's a few other tutorials listed here as well, that's all I can think of off hand.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    But I think that you really can' reach the limit because even my huge tc_street is arout 20% planes. Should be just a bad brush in ur map.

4. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    It's possible, but it really doesn't tend to yield very good-looking or well-optimised props, as I've found after doing it a couple of times. You'd be better off trying to get one of the decent modelers in the forum to help you out by creating a good model that occupies the same amount of space.

5. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the info guys :) I can live w/ them not being the best eye candy, though I'll have to see how much of a performance hit I take w/ them as models. Actually, it's just a very large set of chains I made by slapping together a pair of arches. Normally not a huge deal, problem is I have several dozen of them, lol. If this doesn't work.. well, what's a good replacement for a large chain-link?

6. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Dpends on size and what not (would like to see a picture of your chains, with some props for scale), but a cable?

7. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    Just sat down to start the conversion process. Since I consider this my first real map, chalking up cp_trenchwar as a practice, I'm trying to hold off on screens for a bit. Though if this doesn't work, I suppose a couple won't hurt. Then I'll have to start bugging our modeling peeps :p

8. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    You could always C+P the chains into a new blank map and just screenshot them next to some random prop for scale...

The big advantage of models over brushes is that models can LOD, so they look nice and pretty when close up, but are nice and cheap when further away. They're also a lot cheaper to render because of simpler lighting, and repeated models can often be batched.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    Edit 1: Ok, my attempt to make them into models was pretty awful. So now I have this, lol;http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=31738#post31738

I actually didn't know that :) I'm also experimenting w/ using much larger arches for the chains, w/ a smaller face count. Before I had 18, but shrunk it down to 12 without losing too much quality.

10. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Got a lot of those spikes as well? Might want to consider making those models, if changing the chains doesn't solve the issue.

11. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You know what? I'll make you a chain model. I assume you can handle texturing and compiling? Just give me the brush-adapted model and I'll make it low-poly, efficient, and good looking as I can.

12. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    Freakin awsome! I really need to bug DJive and drpepper about adding small attachments to pms. In the mean time, I'll just submit it as a zip file, can delete it later. And Shadow, the spikes are actually ok atm. There's a lot of them, but they have a fraction of the complexity that the chains do.

13. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Holy shit Immortal, you have 666 posts D:

14. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    That teddy is really evil.

15. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    I'm almost afraid to post again, for fear of breaking it..... crap. Btw, did you get the d/l I sent you?