Portal issue

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
I've been wracking my brain for hours trying to sort out a leak most likely caused by some portal calculations gone haywire. I dug this out of the compile log after stripping the map down to nothing but geometry and still getting a leak that generates no pointfile.

Code:
FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2234.0 0.0 -386.0)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
Leaf 1 contents: 
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID

I'm not very well versed in the mechanics behind portalflow and the like so this is way over my head. On the plus side stripping the map bare has shown a bunch of things I need to fix besides the giant killer leak.

Thanks in advance to any guru who can help me out. Feel free to berate me for poor mapping technique, I'm sure it was carelessness that caused it to start with.

Oct 25, 2007
On the plus side stripping the map bare has shown a bunch of things I need to fix besides the giant killer leak.

If you still have a leak, it could also be causing this error.

Otherwise, some things come to mind:
  • A vertex manipulation gone bad (go to check for problems in Hammer to see if an invalid brush shows up).
  • a brush intersecting another brush.
  • a prop inside a brush.
  • an odd shaped brush. (try turning it into func_detail if you find it)

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
That most commonly shows up with a leak