Portal 2 Spoilered discussion

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Those looked kinda useless to me. They kill turrets that you can put portals near to. But if you can put a portal that near to a turret, its dead anyway.

Think of it used different. Tie it to a button to turn it on, position it behind like 5~10 turrets that are in a room that you can't portal into, but they can see you over a path you have to get through. (Gel, that Gravity thing, etc). You get up to a location, press that button, those 10 turrets just go sucked into nothing.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
After a while of thought I came to a few overall conclusions about the game:

*I had fun, I enjoyed my self, Valve shipped and exceptional product--this is probably the most important part
*The environments, physics, characters, gameplay mechanics and animation--all phenomenal. Huge production value.

But:
The magic of the first portal was gone for me. And I think it's mainly because in portal, you're confronted with the uncertain, you start out and know nothing--and the story unfolds from there. You don't already know that the AI voice talking to you is going to end up trying to kill you, in fact you have no idea initially--

and then there's that magic turning point in the game at the end of test chamber 19 where she tries to kill you in the fire pit and you break the 4th wall by escaping into the ruins of the aperture facility. To me the first time I played that was absolutely MIND BLOWING--video games didn't do that until portal, at least not any game I can think of.

And Portal 2 didn't deliver that kind of thing until the very end bit with the moon, and even then it wasn't long enough to focus my attention and really soak in the realization of it. It was gone in a flash.

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
That is true Rexy, but...

Portal 2 was everything I could have expected for a sequal. It deepened the story, provided more difficult puzzles, multiplayer, more concepts (The gels were great fun!), improved visuals and more epic moments. And it did all those things.

Also the turret chorus was awesome. Just saying.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Just gotta say I love the nickname they give Potato GLaDOS in the commentary - POTaTOS.

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
Braingasm.
With the White Gel being made of moon rock, which is an excellent conductor for portals, couldn't you theoretically travel vast distances in space with the portal gun? Considering the portal shots travel relatively fast, if you got lucky taking a random shot into the night sky(or day doesn't matter), you'd manage to hit something right?

Plop a portal on the wall, one into the sky. Wait a few minutes for it to finally hit something. Viola portal to a whole new planet.

Sep 1, 2009
There is only one moon. The likelyhood of another space body with the same composition is kinda low.

Wasn't the moon created during a impact between earth in the early stages and another body? Therefore it could be that that body came from somewhere that the compostion is close/idenitcal and there for allows portals as
in the end of Portal 2 the portal shot at the moon goes though the atmostphere and space which means if the planet or rock was the same we could possibly use it for transport in space considering that 252,088 miles isn't the portal gun's maxium distance.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
My own personal theory... on the assumption that Glados wasn't completely making up the bit about two people in cryo with your last name, I have a feeling Chell could be the daughter of Cave and Caroline. It would kinda make sense, and go with the whole bring your daughter to work day.

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
Also as people in the chat were saying, the gun couldn't be traveling at the speed of light. Yet it reached the moon in a matter of mere seconds.

With a little trial and error you could potentially aim it to perfectly hit onto a moon similar to ours. In a contained environment like a test chamber, you can have a robot ready to jump into the portal to do space travel almost instantaneously. That and recovery of the robot would be simple.

To bad Portals aren't real.

EDIT: Neat tidbit. Word Of God (i.e. the commentary) implies that the portal gun fires at light speed.

Last edited:

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
86D7289A8D81613BEFA2A2CBE77E911B71792C03

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
My own personal theory... on the assumption that Glados wasn't completely making up the bit about two people in cryo with your last name, I have a feeling Chell could be the daughter of Cave and Caroline. It would kinda make sense, and go with the whole bring your daughter to work day.

I saw a fairly well-backed-up post on SPUF claiming that. Theres a strong physical resemblence between Caroline (in the portrait) and Chell.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I LOVED the defective turrets.

Also, for those of you who haven't yet: Play the co-op. It's a lot of fun.

Sep 12, 2008
Finished the single player twice today. I loved every single second of it. So many moments that made you go "whoa holy crap"...

Amazing story and art. Gotta try out the Co-op soon!