Portal 2 Mod Levels 'For All Platforms'

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
0mTs4.jpg

Valve's Chet Faliszek has confirmed that user-created levels for Portal 2 will be available on PC, Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360

Portal 2 is out in April and will feature cross-platform play on PC, Mac and PS3.

"The mod tools have to stay on the PC side just because there’s a bunch of dependencies that require the Windows platform," Faliszek told NowGamer. "But the content that comes out is agnostic, and so we will be seeing that on all the platforms. Depending on the platform you’re on I should say, will depend on how we’re delivering it."

“The content is agnostic, so we will be seeing that on all the platforms”

Faliszek confirmed that PS3 gamers would receive such content through the upcoming Steam works features.

"There’s just a lot of value in engaging the community because they’re smart, they’re thinking of really cool things and we want to be able to have everyone share that," he added.

Look out for the full, exclusive Portal 2 interview with Chet Faliszek soon on NowGamer.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5030/portal-2-mod-levels-for-all-platforms

Sounds pretty goddamn neat! Portal mappers are gonna have a bigger audience they can reach out to now ;)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Portal 2 Confirmed to be Agnostic
Christian Church in Turmoil

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
inb4 hats

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Look at those tiles. Notice anything?

I'm calling it. Source 2011 will let you make textures that reflect in real time instead of just cubemaps.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'll take that bet.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I've never really understood cubemaps. This is probably just a demonstration of that fact, but why not just automate them?

It's not like it would be any worse, but they cost in filesize. And sometimes you need a bigger/smaller size for a cubemap, so you're really not getting efficiency out of it if it were automated. Plus, what's so hard about putting them in and remembering to build them?

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
It's not like it would be any worse, but they cost in filesize. And sometimes you need a bigger/smaller size for a cubemap, so you're really not getting efficiency out of it if it were automated. Plus, what's so hard about putting them in and remembering to build them?

Bigger burden of knowledge = lower accessibility.

That is definitely NOT a fancy way of me saying I'm lazy.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
If they do do this, I hope they also add the ability for said surfaces to reflect with a blur effect, so it looks like they're only semi-glossy.

Although I guess at that point I'm pretty much describing a look you can get with Phong shading. But then, you can't do that with brushwork either.

Yet.