CP Polar

Hastur

L1: Registered
Jul 30, 2010
Okay, I know I've been quiet as of late on the mapmaking front, but that's just because I've been busy with this beauty. It's been a long road to it's eventual form, but I'd say it turned out pretty well. CP_Polar is a snow-themed (alpine?) 3cp map set around sundown outside snowy Snowsville. It's snowy on the day our two teams find themselves once again thrown into combat, but hopefully not too foggy this time.

Couple of notes:

• This map is still open for improvement. I know this, I'm just not sure what needs fixing - that's your job, dear reader.
  • BLU bots really don't work to well on this map. They have an uncanny habit of standing in the spawn for ages and sometimes becoming entranced by the bottoms of the first point's walkways.
  • There are a bunch of cubemap problems with and nearby the BLU spawnroom. I have no idea how to fix these, nor do I know why they're there in the first place.
  • Is it too foggy?
  • Major kudos to 1745, whom I 'borrowed' the release template from. I apologize in advance.

So what are you waiting for? Download it and start playing/critiquing.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
The HDR bloom is terrifying, no offense. Either fix it or remove it. That plus most of the outside being incredibly dark makes it look pretty bad. Also, that light prop under the cappoint base looks very weird.

Mar 23, 2010
what seba said. looks as if lights are being placed right on them walls.

Hastur

L1: Registered
Jul 30, 2010
I have most of the floor-lights 8 hammer units away from the wall and 40 hammer units above the floor.

The small ceiling lights (the ones attached to metal beams and the ceiling of the BLU base) are 16 hammer units below the part of the ceiling with their corresponding light model.

Should they be further distanced from the model that is supposed to generate light? I'm more used to using light_spots for normal lights and lights as simple ambient lighting - is that what I should be doing here?

@seba: When you say HDR bloom, do you mean just the HDR lighting or the lighting (which is admittedly terrible) combined with the bloom setting being enabled? I've got bloom turned on for these screenshots, so that might be part of the lighting issue (presuming that's whey you're referring to)