point-thread pointing to something that isnt a leak?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Hey there,

Alright, I'll admit it, I'm a noob.

****Newer issue***: When I go to compile a map, it will compile and play a previously saved version, so any changes i have made will not be there, which will explain my skybox issue. when testing/playing around with 3d skyboxes I saved a little test map, changed a few things around, and saved it again as something else. Now, when I went to reload the map after hammer crashed, the current and all previous versions were there and all overlayed with each other, so it was liked I fused 4 maps into one...

Help?

---Point-thread issue fixed----

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
The place where it is going through a brush, is that a func_detail? You can't seal a map with func_details.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
A bad area portal will sometimes "leak" through solid geometry. Only solution I've found is to delete it.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, I did that, but now my skybox is glitching on half the map and the other half is fine. In fact, it works perfectly fine, except that it shows my map from below, not the skybox models that I have set up (12 in total if that helps). is this due to a leak or what? should I have surrounded the 1/16th model of map in something else that isn't tools/toolsskybox?

-I am currently searching for a tutorial/guide that is more detailed than the ones I have been coming across.

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
I've had that problem on occasion (second frame of the sequence). I forget what it is, exactly, that causes the problem, but essentially the 3D sky doesn't realize it's the 3D sky. Try wrapping a skybox-textured box around it, so it is fully contained by a 2D sky.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
New issue!

Something else came up and if someone can help me solve it, that would be great....

(just copied from first post, too lazy)
****Newer issue***: When I go to compile a map, it will compile and play a previously saved version, so any changes i have made will not be there, which will explain my skybox issue. when testing/playing around with 3d skyboxes I saved a little test map, changed a few things around, and saved it again as something else. Now, when I went to reload the map after hammer crashed, the current and all previous versions were there and all overlayed with each other, so it was liked I fused 4 maps into one...

I didn't want to spam with a new thread, so i modded this one.

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
That's because someone errored and there was no BSP to copy to your tf/maps folder. Check for leaks and other compile issues.

(Hit F9, uncheck everything except the first item, "build BSP" and run it, your error will be in that part of the compile*)

*YES! vrad and vvis can run even if there's no BSP to save to and will still chug through all of needed operations.